Subject: [Ietf-not43] A few more suggested changes to IRIS

From: anewton at ecotroph.net (Andrew Newton)
Date: Mon Sep 8 15:35:07 2003

I had a couple of private email exchanges with people late last week 
regarding suggested changes to IRIS.  Here are the summaries and 
solicitation for open comment.

dreg:
   Change the status codes in the following way:
1) They are contained within a <status> parent element.
2) Add a <transferPending> and <other> status values.
3) Allow the status elements to have an optional <description 
language="xx"> child.
4) Make it a sequence and not a choice allowing the registry to define 
the mutual exclusion of status values.

This allows for localization as before but also accounts for locally 
defined status values, and mixtures of status values.

core:
   Change the <entity> element so that it is identified by a 
'referantType' attribute instead of the element name.  This allows a 
server to suggest to the client what type of object to expect when 
following the reference, and allows derivation of the element so that 
the role is the element name (the benefit being that a client doesn't 
have to look to the parent element to determine the role).

Given this current method as an example:

   <registrant>
     <iris:entity ...>
       ...
     </iris:entity>
   </registrant>

becomes

   <registrant iris:referantType="..." ...>
     ...
   </registrant>

-andy