Subject: [Ietf-not43] FIRS changes

From: ehall at ehsco.com (Eric A. Hall)
Date: Mon Sep 8 03:11:39 2003

I'm making some fairly substantial changes to some of the FIRS design
elements and wanted to give a heads-up on the coming changes. The
documents will probably be relesaed this week.

The biggest change is that I'm introducing per-resource attribute labels,
and dropping the generic "cn" attribute. For example, domain resources
will be "idom=", IPv4 network resources will be "ipv4", etc. This change
allows for several improvements to the service as a whole: it simplifies
client-formulated searches considerably, it simplifies referrals, it
allows for a FIRS-specific URI that is cleaner and safer than the generic
LDAP URI, and more. It also fixes a design bug in FIRS which had slipped
through the cracks.

The second-biggest change is that I'm dropping the FIRS-specific syntaxes
and using existing LDAP syntaxes. This will allow generic LDAP servers to
be used immediately for any of the resources, albeit at at the loss of
some benefit (high-volume servers will be better off implementing the
extensions, but off-the-shelf products can be used for any servers).

Lots of other minor but non-trivial changes to make the system simpler
wherever possible.

I'm also working on major clarifications to the specifications, and
updating firs.pl to accomodate the updates.

[Entry: idom=ex?mple.com,cn=inetResources,dc=corp,dc=ntrg,dc=com]

         Domain Name: xn--exmple-cua.com
   Delegation Status: 1
  Registered Servers: ns1.example.com [192.168.11.3/32]
                      ns1.xn--exmple-cua.com [192.168.12.4/32]

          Registrant: Ex?mple Widgets, AB
      Street Address: Drammensveien 18
         City/Locale: Oslo
     Zip/Postal Code: 0244
        Country Code: NO
       External Info: http://www.xn--exmple-cua.com/ Ex?mple Widgets

    General Contacts: [email-masked]
  Technical Contacts: [email-masked]
   Security Contacts: [email-masked],
                      [email-masked]

      Record Created: 20030904180149Z
       Last Modified: 20030908065203Z

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/