Subject: [Ietf-not43] Results of call for consensus

From: hardie at qualcomm.com ([email-masked])
Date: Fri Sep 19 14:51:04 2003

Howdy folks,

April and I have reviewed the responses to the call for consensus sent out
September 8th, and we agree that the rough consensus of the group to
the question:

   "Shall IRIS or FIRS be the basis of further working group
   development of a query-response protocol for administrative
   data related to Internet infrastructure?"

is that IRIS shall be the basis of further working group development.
While we do not wish to rehearse the full set of discussions here,
several points struck us as important to call out from that discussion:

1) This determination reflects an assessment of the appropriateness
of the two proposals to this task, and it does not reflect a negative
assessment of the quality of FIRS or its potential.

2) As a corollary, one of the primary factors in the assessment was the
set of tools, expertise, and deployed code present in the specific community
of use here; more specifically, in the community of those serving this
administrative data.

3) There are clearly engineering trade-offs here among scalability,
extensibility, and re-use.  The working group will need to keep these
trade-offs in mind during the further development of the CRISP protocol.
As it is now, the working group has indicated rough consensus for a
model with limits on extensibility in at least one axis of further development
(query mechanisms); there may be other, related choices to make as
work proceeds.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who participated
in the call for consensus by sending their technical reviews to the list.
We would especially like to thank Eric Hall and Andy Newton, who spent
the time and effort to create and document these proposals, and we
encourage the working group members to extend their thanks to our
authors as well.

			regards,
				Ted Hardie
				April Marine
				Chairs, CRISP