Subject: [Ietf-not43] Minutes of the IETF58-MN CRISP WG meeting

From: ggm at apnic.net (George Michaelson)
Date: Tue Dec 2 18:51:57 2003

Here are the minutes of the CRISP WG meeting from IETF-58 Minneapolis. Thanks to
Cathy Murphy for scribing, and April Marine for editing.

Please send any changes/issues to the list. I'll forward to the ietf secretariat
in a week.

cheers
	-George

 ---------------------------
 Cross Registry Information Service Protocol WG (crisp)

 Wednesday, November 12 at 1300-1500
 CHAIRS: April Marine <[email-masked]>
         George Michaelson <[email-masked]>

 Scribe: Cathy Murphy

 [These notes are a summary done by April and George based on Cathy's
 excellent detailed notes.  The detailed notes were sent to the list.
 Comments like this one that are added to summarize or clarify are in
 square brackets so their origin is clear.]

 Name Abbreviations:
 AM  April Marine
 AN  Andy Newton
 CA  Chris Ambler
 CM  Cathy Murphy
 EL  Ed Lewis
 FN  Frederico Neves
 GGM George Michaelson
 GL  Ginny Listman
 JK  John Klenson
 LD  Leslie Daigle
 MK  Mark Kosters
 MS  Michael S... (Could not find him after the meeting to get
 his name)
 RS  Richard Shockey
 TH  Ted Hardie
 WM  Bill Manning

 +-----+

  o Welcome and Agenda Bashing - chairs

 AM:
 - Welcome new co-chair, George Michaelson
 - Ted Hardie (now sheparding AD) was wearing too many hats
 - Scribe is Cathy Murphy
 - Anyone to do jabber log? Ted volunteers.
 - Mail list (currently at [email-masked]) will be
   moving to IETF servers
 - No agenda changes

 Since last meeting, group came to consensus on IRIS as way forward.
 Reqts draft in RFC editor queue; some recent comments, but done and
 not re-opening.

 +-----+
  o Outstanding IRIS Issues  - Andy Newton

 AN: These are not the issues sent to mailing list; these have come
 forward since then. List items can be found in mail archives.

 AM: What's the next step?
 AN: Send to list and see who comments.

 AM: Andy has asked for a co-author for the IRIS documents (for XML)?
 ... no volunteers...

 [Note from April: Later Marcos Sanz agreed to co-edit]
 +-----+

  o Additional Requirements? -  Ginny Listman

  re: draft-ietf-crisp-internet-resource-number-requirements-00.txt

 AM: Are you still willing to be point person for this document?
 GL: Shane Kerr has agreed to be the editor going forward.

 [Discussion of best way to move these requirements forward given that
 we already have a draft req doc in RFC Editor queue.  Decision is to
 do a "bis" or update of the original req doc, one that totally
 replaces the first req doc so as to capture all the requirements in
 one place.]

 +-----+

  o IRIS lightweight transport  -  Andy Newton

 AN: Recently, some discussion about transports on the list.
 It was brought up before a while back, but is was probably premature
 to discuss at that time. Now seems like a good time to discuss this.

 [Presentaiton and discussion of the possibility of adding UDP as one
 of the IRIS transports.]

 GGM: Feel strongly that if it going to proceed, should be done here.
 TH: Agree. What is going to get people to move? Will IRIS-light get
 people to move? But if what is defined is so similar to whois-like,
 then worry that will discourage moving.
 AN: Agree with that concern, that if we proceed to UDP, won't ever
 get to BEEP. But all the other drivers (int'lzation, etc) still will
 require BEEP.
 RS: Is any one clamoring for this?
 AC: Yes, registrars are.
 AM: Would like to take it to the list. [as to whether there is enough
 demand to see if WG would add it as a work item]

 +-----+

  o Update Charter and Milestones

 Is there agreement on the change to the charter language that
 allows number resources to be included?

 ...Sense of the room was YES...

 Revised Milestones proposed

 [will send revised charter and milestons to the list--some small changes
 in milestones from previous msg to the list]

 +-----+

  o Using dreg for registrar-registrar -  Chris Ambler
    communication

 CA: Several of aspects of IRIS are to limit queuing due to mining.
 This works to the detriment of registrars. What we need is a very
 light-weight registar-to-registrar query mechanism.  So, looking to
 implement in a number of ways. One idea was to just add a flag
 in port 43 so that would send back XML . Do we want to proceed with
 full blown CRISP? Probably, but am approaching now just to do as a
 light-weight implementation.

 [This was an FYI to the group; some discussion and feedback for Chris.]