Subject: [Ietf-not43] CRISP Charter

From: April.Marine at nominum.com (April Marine)
Date: Thu Jan 8 18:02:34 2004

Ted,

This is the new charter text the group agreed on over the list and in the
last meeting.  Can you pls take the action to run it by the IESG?  The
only two changes are marked with asterisks (although I bulletized more
stuff, so it may look different-er than that).

Milestones to follow.

thx,
A.

-----------------

Cross Registry Information Service Protocol (crisp)

Description of Working Group:

In the standard operation of Internet systems, various labels and data
are managed globally -- domain names, IPv4 and IPv6 addresses,
etc. From time to time, for operational and administrative purposes,
users of the Internet need to be able to find and access registered
information associated with those labels.

The CRISP (Cross-Registry Information Service Protocol) WG will
define a standard mechanism that can be used for:

 - finding authoritative information associated with a label,

 - a protocol to transport queries and responses for accessing that
   information,

 - a first profile (schema & queries) to support commonly-required
   queries for domain registration information,

* - a second profile (schema & queries) to support commonly-required
   queries for numbering resource information. ("numbering resources"
   is used to refer to IP addresses and ASNs)

The WG will strive to preserve an extensible architecture so that the
work possibly be useful in the future to other types of registries
beyond those specifically considered by the group.

Specific topics that are NOT goals of this WG are:

 - Backwards compatibility with existing administrative directory
   services such as WHOIS.

 - Provisioning of data into registry or registrar systems. CRISP
   provides a uniform access to and view of data that may be held in
   disparate backend servers.

The CRISP service definition will define:

 - a standard mechanism that can be used to determine the
   authoritative server(s) for information about a given label

 - a single mandatory to implement protocol for transporting
   application queries and responses, including

 - expression of input query

 - expression of result sets

 - standard expression of error conditions

 - authentication and verification of data integrity

 - specific data types and queries to be supported in the
   supported registry services.

Deliverables:

 - Requirements document as an Informational RFC. (previously submitted)

 - First draft of protocol (use) specification. (previously submitted)

 - First draft of domain registration administrative directory
   services required schema element specification. (previously submitted)

 - Document specifying a new protocol, or the use of an existing one,
   for providing CRISP service (application transport).

 - Document specifying required schema elements and queries for domain
   registration administrative directory queries.

* - Document specifying required schema elements and queries for
   numbering resources registration administrative directory queries.