Subject: RE: [Crisp] Working Group Last Call on AREG docs

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:44:26 -0500

> I don't understand. A referral from where? I'm not trying to 
> be sarcastic or 
> anything, but the only option I see other than telling coders 
> where to start 
> their referral process is not to tell them anything.

How about whatever "nearby" IRIS AREG server they happen to know about?

My point in suggesting that more text is needed is that the AREG
document says nothing about why AREG resolution differs from the
resolution process described in other documents.  Why are the AREG and
DREG situations different?  DREG includes a very detailed description of
the resolution process in section 6.  AREG includes two sentences.  If
there is a reason that one must start with a specific server the
document really ought to explain why that's the case.

BTW, the document currently says that one "SHOULD start every query from
the IRIS server iris.nro.net".  So what happens if the client doesn't?

-Scott-

_______________________________________________
Crisp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/crisp

---

From: Frederico A C Neves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:14:39 -0200

> the IRIS server iris.nro.net".  So what happens if the client doesn't?

AFAIK, only the collection of the RIRs, NRO, has auth and should be
authoritative for the main tree initial references. Because of ERX and
NIRs even IANA doesn't have all the top tree info.

If we don't start top-down on a specific IRIS server, NRO will still
need to publish this info on a regular basis and IRIS servers owners
will need to keep this info up to date. This is a trade off, we start
with a well known server name that could be anycasted etc.... to
protect it from DDOS etc... or we'll start with a similar root info
(OOB) as in DNS and people will start to have servers with this
information not up to date. The former is less suitable to non-uniform
responses.

Fred