Subject: [Curdle] draft-ietf-curdle-pkix-02

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 02:04:24 -0500

Section 3 says:

   For all of the OIDs, the parameters MUST be absent.
   Implementations SHOULD NOT accept a parameters value of NULL.

I strongly agree that the parameters MUST be absent.

If no one generates parameters, why do we need any discussion of NULL parameters?

Russ

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 19:00:21 -0500

> If no one generates parameters, why do we need any discussion of NULL parameters?

Or, better, make that SHOULD NOT into:

    Implementaions MUST NOT accept any of these OIDs with the parameters
    field present, even if parameters has a value of NULL.

If we can convince the early implementations to hard-fail on that, we
can discourage anyone from generating those values in newer
implementations.

        --dkg

---

From: Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 04:32:02 +0000

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]> writes:

>If we can convince the early implementations to hard-fail on that, we can
>discourage anyone from generating those values in newer implementations.

+1.  For once there's no argument for supporting existing broken
implementations, we can get it right from the start.

Peter.