Subject: [Curdle] RFC 8270 on Increase the Secure Shell Minimum Recommended Diffie-Hellman Modulus Size to 2048 Bits

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 16:28:00 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8270

        Title:      Increase the Secure Shell Minimum 
                    Recommended Diffie-Hellman Modulus 
                    Size to 2048 Bits 
        Author:     L. Velvindron, 
                    M. Baushke
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 9440
        Updates:    RFC 4419

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-curdle-ssh-dh-group-exchange-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8270

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8270

The Diffie-Hellman (DH) Group Exchange for the Secure Shell (SSH)
transport-layer protocol specifies that servers and clients should
support groups with a minimum modulus group size of 1024 bits.
Recent security research has shown that the minimum value of 1024
bits is insufficient to protect against state-sponsored actors and
any organization with enough computing resources.  This RFC updates
RFC 4419, which allowed for DH moduli less than 2048 bits; now, 2048
bits is the minimum acceptable group size.

This document is a product of the CURves, Deprecating and a Little more Encryption Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC