Subject: [Curdle] I-D Action: draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 10:11:56 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the CURves, Deprecating and a Little more Encryption WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Depreciating RC4 in Secure Shell (SSH)
        Author          : Luis Camara
	Filename        : draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die-05.txt
	Pages           : 4
	Date            : 2018-01-10

Abstract:
   This document depreciates RC4 in Secure Shell (SSH).  Therefore, this
   document updates RFC 4253, and formally obsoletes and moves to
   Historic RFC 4345.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-curdle-rc4-die-die-die-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Simo Sorce <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 13:40:02 -0500

Sorry,
this is a pet peeve of mine.
The words you are looking for are deprecating and deprecates, not
depreciating and depreciates.

>From a dictionary:

- deprecate
    VERB
    be deprecated (chiefly of a software feature) be usable but regarded
    as obsolete and best avoided, typically because it has been
    superseded.
    ‘this feature is deprecated and will be removed in later versions’
    ‘avoid the deprecated element that causes text to flash on and off’

- depreciate
    VERB
    Diminish in value over a period of time.
    ‘the latest cars will depreciate heavily in the first year’

While I really see that deprecation will also diminish the value of RC4
and thus lead to depreciation, I think you really want to deprecate it
here. :-)

HTH,
Simo.

On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 10:11 -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Curdle mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/curdle

-- 
Simo Sorce
Sr. Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 21:13:41 +0000

I found two typo’s in this document.  Section 1 mentions Kerberos.  Section 3 “it MUST NOT” should remove the “it”

Any objection to starting a WGLC on this ?  speak up by Friday.  A one-week WGLC.

This document has the most vehemence per page that I have seen in some time :)  Congratulations.

On 1/10/18, 1:12 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    
    Abstract:

---

From: Simo Sorce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 17:13:48 -0500

> This document has the most vehemence per page that I have seen in some time :)  Congratulations.

There are many changes I would like to see to the text besides the
depreciate -> deprecate one I noted before (without answer).

For example The Security Considerations read awkwardly to me:
   "This document depreciates RC4, that is obsolete cryptography, and
   several attacks that render it useless have been published
   published"

I am not sure the text actually belongs in Security Considerations,
given the text there can't do anything else but vehemently repeat
what's in  he main text, but if that content needs to be there that it
would need to read something like:

This document deprecates the usage of RC4 in SSH. The RC4 stream cipher
is obsolete and several attacks that compromise its usefulness have
been published ...

HTH,
Simo.