Subject: [Curdle] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-curdle-gss-keyex-sha2-09: (with COMMENT)

From: Barry Leiba via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 00:58:07 -0700

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-curdle-gss-keyex-sha2-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-curdle-gss-keyex-sha2/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Section 2 --

   we propose the use of the SHA-2 [RFC6234] based hashes

Two nits here: first, the second "the" seems odd.  Second, "SHA-2-based hashes"
needs to be hyphenated, which makes the double hyphen odd and moves the
citation.  I suggest, "we propose the use of hashes based on SHA-2 [RFC6234]".

-- Section 4 (and also 5.2) --

   Each key exchange method is implicitly registered by this document.

The registration is not implicit; it's explicit in Section 7.  I suggest
removing "implicitly".

-- Section 8.3 --
Nits: "Some mechanisms implementations" should be "Some mechanism
implementations", "(like commonly used krb5 libraries)" should be "(such as
commonly used krb5 libraries)", and "may results" should be "may result".

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 12:32:20 -0500

(Adding Roman since he asked the same thing...)

> The registration is not implicit; it's explicit in Section 7.  I suggest

It's implicit in that the registration is not producing a list of (md5 hash
of OID) that are appended to the prefix and registered individually -- the
prefix is being registered but not all the possible values that would go on
the wire.

-Ben

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 22:53:58 +0100

> prefix is being registered but not all the possible values that would go on

Then I'd prefer, "Each key exchange prefix is registered...," but it's
not a DISCUSS, so use good judgment.

b

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 22:54:41 +0100

> not a DISCUSS, so use good judgment.

I meant to say, "Each key exchange method prefix is registered...."