Subject: [dane] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dane-use-cases-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:55:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the DNS-based Authentication of Named Entities Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Use Cases and Requirements for DNS-based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE)
	Author(s)       : Richard Barnes
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dane-use-cases-04.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2011-06-29

   Many current applications use the certificate-based authentication
   features in TLS to allow clients to verify that a connected server
   properly represents a desired domain name.  Traditionally, this
   authentication has been based on PKIX trust hierarchies, rooted in
   well-known CAs, but additional information can be provided via the
   DNS itself.  This document describes a set of use cases in which the
   DNS and DNSSEC could be used to make assertions that support the TLS
   authentication process.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dane-use-cases-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dane-use-cases-04.txt

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:19:40 -0700

In the combination text re-write a concept was lost.

Combination:  The DANE mechanism must allow multiple DANE statements
      of the above forms to be combined.  For example, a domain holder
      should be able to specify that clients should accept a particular
      certificate (Section Section 3.2) or any certificate issued by its
      own CA (Section Section 3.3).

The 'or' should be an 'and' as you want to be able to specify multiple
constraints.  The or case would be handled under the roll-over conditions.

Jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:56 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [dane] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dane-use-cases-04.txt
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
> This draft is a work item of the DNS-based Authentication of Named
Entities
> Working Group of the IETF.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> dane mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dane

---

From: "Richard L. Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:27:20 -0400

Thanks, I've flagged this to handle with IETF LC comments.
--Richard