Subject: [dane] OT - Weak links

From: Matt McCutchen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 13:13:05 -0400

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 01:19 +1200, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> All you have to do is make it at least as secure as
> the current weakest link, which is forging a request to the registrar to
> change the DNS entry (and that's a pretty low barrier for your $9.95
> registrar).

Really?  Do you know something I don't?  I invite you to change the CAA
records on mattmccutchen.net.

-- 
Matt

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 13:53:14 -0400

Ooooo please not.

I have seen people make similar challenges and it never ends well. Even if
you give permission to be hacked, your registrar has not and they are the
party that will bear the cost.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Matt McCutchen <[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> dane mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dane
>

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Matt McCutchen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:05:08 -0400

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 13:53 -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> Ooooo please not.
> 
> I have seen people make similar challenges and it never ends well.
> Even if you give permission to be hacked, your registrar has not and
> they are the party that will bear the cost.

You are right, my remark was unwise and I take it back.  I just don't
like FUD.  If on the other hand there are known problems in this area, I
would like to fix them.  It doesn't seem like maintaining a secure
customer admin interface should cost more than $9.95 per domain at the
scale of a large registrar like mine.

-- 
Matt

---

From: Chris Palmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 15:57:06 -0700

On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Matt McCutchen wrote:

> It doesn't seem like maintaining a secure

And yet...

-- 
Chris Palmer
Technology Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation
https://www.eff.org/code