Subject: [dane] terminology in draft-ietf-dane-srv

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:13:34 -0700

Regarding draft-ietf-dane-srv, I think it would be good to agree on
our terminology in this space. For example, RFC 6125 uses the terms
"source domain" and "derived domain" whereas draft-ietf-dane-srv uses
the terms "service domain" and "target server host name". Jeff Hodges
and I tried to make our terminology in RFC 6125 both clear and
consistent with RFC 2782. If we failed in that regard, please let us
know (we do plan to work on 6125bis at some point). If not, I suggest
that we try to align draft-ietf-dane-srv with RFC 6125.

Thanks!

Peter

- -- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 11:36:47 +0000

Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]> wrote:
> our terminology in this space.

Yes.

> For example, RFC 6125 uses the terms "source domain" and "derived
> domain" whereas draft-ietf-dane-srv uses the terms "service domain" and
> "target server host name". Jeff Hodges and I tried to make our
> terminology in RFC 6125 both clear and consistent with RFC 2782. If we
> failed in that regard, please let us know (we do plan to work on 6125bis
> at some point). If not, I suggest that we try to align
> draft-ietf-dane-srv with RFC 6125.

I think I would prefer to stay closer to RFC 2782 terms, something like
"SRV Name field" and "SRV Target field", perhaps. As I understand it, the
RFC 6125 terms are generic, intended to apply to more situations than just
SRV indirections. I want to keep this spec as concrete and direct as I
can.

The reason for the current terminology is that I want to emphasize the
difference between host names (to which TLSA records are related) and
domain names (a more general concept). There is also some hangover from
the earlier MX-specific version, where "mail domain" and "MX target host
name" is fairly normal terminology.

Thank you for the feedback.

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.