Subject: [dane] [OT] Deployment news (Germany is plowing ahead)

From: Viktor Dukhovni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 19:46:42 +0000

I've mentioned before that much of the deployment (> 30%) for DANE
SMTP is in Germany.  Today something unprecedented happened.

My curated list of DANE SMTP domains which had grown gradually from
none to ~1600 over the last 12 months, jumped by ~150 domains in
one day today.  Specifically, the German domain registrar UD Media,
has enabled DANE for the MX hosts serving their hosted email domains.
Also the Leibniz supercomputing center has enabled DANE for many
of their domains.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz-Rechenzentrum

This follows on the heels of the recent DNSSEC-day.

    http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/blog/2015/06/wednesday-june-30-is-dnssec-day-in-germany/

I don't know what to expect going forward, but this is certainly
a big change from the previous trickle of 4-5 domains per day.

I might also note that my UD Media dataset is likely a substantial
under-estimate, since I only detect the domains that are listed in
Alexa, or tested by the domain owner at dane.sys4.de.

So it looks like we're going to have a lot more email domains with
published DANE TLSA RRs.  Now we just need to help them all keep
the data up to date.

    https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dane-ops-14#section-8.4
    https://dane.sys4.de/common_mistakes

-- 
	Viktor.

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 06:29:51 -0400 (EDT)

> SMTP is in Germany.  Today something unprecedented happened.

The OPENPGPKEY deployment/coders also have a strong German component.

Paul