Subject: [dane] Webinterface for DANE-OpenPGPkey look-up available

From: "Rene 'Renne' Bartsch, B.Sc. Informatics" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 10:38:12 +0200

Hi,

the german mail-provider mail.de has published a web-interface for RFC
7929 look-ups at https://openpgpkey.info/. While users have to trust
mail.de, it allows John-Does to look-up OpenPGPkey-RRs until
mail-clients support it. The website is now available via IPv4 and IPv6
protected with DNSSEC/DANE-TLS. Using the DNSSEC/TLSA-Validator from
CZ-NIC (https://www.dnssec-validator.cz/) John-Does can look-up public
PGP-keys fairly secure with their browser.

There's definitely no excuse anymore for mail-providers to kick RFC 7929
down the road! ;-)

Regards,

Renne

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Rex)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 10:57:46 +0200 (CEST)

> There's definitely no excuse anymore for mail-providers to kick RFC 7929

The concept of the status "Experimental" seems to be unclear to you.

And I'm slightly confused to see a comment like this from someone
who seems to come from Europe.  In Europe, publishing such information
is a mandatory end-user-optin (so it requires a non-trivial change
to the backend software), besides screaming out loud "spam-me-harder".

-Martin

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 11:37:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016, Martin Rex wrote:

>> 7929 look-ups at https://openpgpkey.info/.

That's neat! I tested it out and it found the my pgp key. Perhaps a more
human readable interpretation would have been nice to see as well?

>> There's definitely no excuse anymore for mail-providers to kick RFC 7929

:)

> The concept of the status "Experimental" seems to be unclear to you.

For one, marking it experimental was pretty silly, and based only on
the "we are all going to die over lowercase()" issue. Second, even
expriments need to get their deployments started to see if the RFC
is successfull or not.

> to the backend software), besides screaming out loud "spam-me-harder".

It seems a little ironic that you are invoking privacy laws over
publishing and using _public_ keys eh? :)

And I'm also from European decent but do not see a privacy issue. In
fact, if anything, one can argue that having encryption envelopes
now readily available, sending your personal emails as a postcard
without an encryption envelope would be the privacy law violation.

Paul