Subject: [Dcpel] text version of propsal

From: Kathleen Nichols <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:25:25 -0700

I'm sending this to the list so it ends up in the archives.
Apologies to those of you currently subscribed.

	Kathie

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Diffserv Control Plane Elements (DCPEl) Strawman

post to mailing list: [email-masked]

information at: [https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dcpel]

Goals:

It's been some time since the Diffserv forwarding path elements were
standardized. At that time, the approach was to get the mechanisms
deployed in routers so that approaches to service creation and control
plane could be attempted. Before closing, the Diffserv WG defined the
concept of Per-Domain Behaviors (PDBs) in RFC 3086, but left the
approach to controling PDBs open.

Now Diffserv forwarding elements are available in most routers and are
in use to create services in some networks. A variety of approaches are
being used for control and management of Diffserv but there appears to
be some commonality. A possible path for IETF work is to enumerate and
classify the common elements and to work toward some best common
practices. Additionally, it may be useful to present specifications for
a range of diffserv control plane elements using common interfaces.

The major issues to deploying Diffserv-based services are primarily
operational. The deployment must be cost-effective, be secured against
vulnerabilities and not become a vehicle for denial of service attacks.
Standardization should result in existing toolsets being either expanded
to cover more needed functionality or to interact with other tools. A
standardization effort should cover how to secure the architecture to
mitigate vulnerabilities. Standards for a control plane QoS agent for
routers may be useful. A desired outcome of IETF efforts is to make
multiple products available to network operators, obviating the time and
personnel expense of individual solutions. The end goal is to enable
more services, both for network customers and for control of the
network, without taxing personnel.

The starting point for a BoF is to look at what's out there, determine
if there is indeed some uniformity of approach useful as a starting
point, and determine what's missing.

The intial focus would be the intradomain control plane moving to
interdomain or AS under same provider and finally to interprovider or
interoperator.

Proposed itinerary:

1. Present the goal of a possible WG through presentation of a strawman
enumeration of common elements of all Diffserv CPs. This may include
examples, commercial and research, of diffserv control planes or
elements thereof.

2. Discussion of whether these (some) elements need standardization or
better if options presented in informationals or not at all. Do the
strawman common elements hold up, if this is useful, which might require
standardization - are these the right elements? require standardization?
useful to have set of standards? Best proprietary?

3. Is categorization of the capabilities of diffserv forwarding path
mechanisms also needed?

4. Is there other IETF work that applies?

5. Close with checking for consensus on WG goals, different goals, no WG?

Strawman elements:

* Network state / resource map - include path control approaches or path
awareness (databases), query language

* "server" / allocator / QoS service

* Control and configuration of edge (CP to edge devices)

* Provisioning approaches / set up

* signaling/messaging protocol(s) - host/user/originator to CP and
interdomain CP communication

* performance monitoring

* policy repository - DB, query language, etc

* authentication of requesters - credentials, certificates, etc

* a QoS agent for routers - setting FP elements in response to CP messages

Example Products and Projects Useful for Diffserv Control:

* Operax

* Allot

* Grid approach to BB, authentication

* Intelliden

* IPsum, PacketDesign

* Telcordia BB

* PacketCable

* Cariden

Example Service Products Using Diffserv Control:

* Any examples?

_______________________________________________
Dcpel mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dcpel