Subject: [Detnet] Terminology resolution

From: "Norman Finn (nfinn)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 19:21:45 +0000

I’ve tried twice to send this since May 19.  This time for sure.

Clearly, I haven’t gotten the DetNet architecture out to everyone, yet.
I have circulated a new version to some people.  In there meantime, here
is a
proposal for common terminology.  If we can agree on this, the
architecture can conform to it.

     Suggested                            is/was
   Term of choice            from         elsewhere           comments

deterministic flow          dp-alt
(DetNet) end system         arch
(DetNet) network node       dp-alt        relay system
   (DetNet) edge node       dp-alt                            one kind of
network node
DetNet node                 arch                              end system,
network node, or edge node
(DetNet) source             arch          Talker
(DetNet) destination        arch          Listener
(DetNet) member flow                      Member Stream       only when
needed, only relative to compound flow
(DetNet) compound flow                    Compound Stream     only when
needed, only relative to member flow
(DetNet) link               all                               can be
simple or complex (e.g., Ether-over-xyz)
(DetNet) domain             dp-alt                            may not need
this in next arch draft
(DetNet) reservation        arch                              ties
together flow spec, Tspec, etc.
explicit routes             dp-alt        pinned paths
packet replications         arch, dp-alt  packet replication  Pascal
really likes this term.  I’m good with it.
    and elimination                            and deletion

Terms to omit:     from       reason

(DetNet) subnet    dp-alt     I’d argue that, between domain and link, we
have this covered.

NOTE:

Could do DetNet node = network node or edge node, but that implies network
node != edge node, and then what do you call a device that is mostly a
network node but has some edge ports?  Frankly, I’d prefer to not use the
term edge node, and talk about edge ports in network nodes.

— Norm