Subject: Re: [Detnet] Polling interest in DetNet Interim

From: Norman Finn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 07:04:15 +0000

I'll be there for 802.1 and the Saturday worksho[ but I have to go home on Sunday.  Sorry.

-- Norm

________________________________________
From: detnet [[email-masked]] on behalf of Lou Berger [[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 3:28 PM
To: DetNet WG
Cc: BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A (ATTLABS); DetNet Chairs
Subject: [Detnet] Polling interest in DetNet Interim

Subject: Polling for interest in DetNet Interim

WG,

At IETF100 it was suggested that we consider an interim meeting to have
some more focused discussion on resolving current major topics in the
WG, notably the data plane related open issues reviewed at IETF100.
Some of our WG participants who also participate in IEEE 802.1 TSN have
graciously offered to arrange for meeting space as part of their interim
meeting and joint workshop with ITU-T Study Group 15.

The purpose of this message is to gauge interest in participating in
this meeting, and confirming that we have critical mass to formally
schedule this interim.

The proposed schedule is as follows:

- Jan 26 Friday afternoon -  IETF DetNet WG - IEEE 802.1 TSN TG joint
session
    ** REQUIRED if don't already have ITU Badge
- Jan 27 Saturday - (optional) Joint IEEE 802 and ITU-T Study Group 15
    workshop on Building Tomorrow’s Networks
    //The afternoon is likely to be of interest to WG participants
    //while the morning should allow informal discussion time
- Jan 28/29 Sunday/Monday -- IETF DetNet Interim

It is important to note that the meeting location requires an ITU badge
for access and that badging will be limited to Friday and Monday -- YOU
MUST ATTEND FRIDAY if you wish to participate in meetings on Saturday
and Sunday.  There is no fee for attendance, but no snacks/cookies/food
provided.

If you are interested in attending, please send mail to the chairs or
(preferably) fill out the doodle poll available at:
https://doodle.com/poll/g23hnb7i3c54p97g
Please let us know if you will definitely attend (if held) or would like
to attend, but cannot yet commit.

We'd like to confirm details in time for all to make travel
arrangements. If at all possible please respond by COB December 4, if
not earlier.

Thank you,
Pat and Lou

_______________________________________________
detnet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/detnet

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 07:15:25 -0500

Hi Norm,

    I understand, but unfortunate. I think we're really borderline on
having a useful meeting and I think if Jouni can't make it we won't have
critical mass.  -- time to start thinking alternatives...

Does anyone disagree?

Jouni,

    What do you think the chances are of you making the interim?

Lou

---

From: Norman Finn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 17:13:00 +0000

I've been thinking.  I don't want to be the one that prevents the meeting.  I will stay over if it makes critical mass.

-- Norm

________________________________________
From: Lou Berger [[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 4:15 AM
To: Norman Finn; DetNet WG
Cc: BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A (ATTLABS); DetNet Chairs; Jouni Korhonen
Subject: Re: [Detnet] Polling interest in DetNet Interim

Hi Norm,

Does anyone disagree?

Jouni,

Lou

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:09:41 -0500

Norm,

    That's a hugely generous offer that we may take you up on.  My
feeling is that with the current list of respondents, we'd really need
both you and Jouni to be there to have the meeting. 

I'd like to hear from others on this list what they think and Jouni
before we (all) commit.

Comments?

Lou
PS as a reminder, we wan to finalized if we hold this meeting or not
this week.

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 10:41:07 +0800

Lou,

If there will be a meeting (I sincerely hope there will be), will you 
arrange for a possibility to participate (or at least listen) remote,
I think I can find a back channel via Jabber/Skype/WebEx to channel
comments into the meeting.

/Loa

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64

---

From: "Grossman, Ethan A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 04:37:03 +0000

I also would listen in for at least part of it. 
Ethan.

-----Original Message-----
From: detnet [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Loa Andersson
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 6:41 PM
To: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Cc: Norman Finn <[email-masked]>; Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>; DetNet WG <[email-masked]>; BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A (ATTLABS) <[email-masked]>; DetNet Chairs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Detnet] Polling interest in DetNet Interim

Lou,

If there will be a meeting (I sincerely hope there will be), will you arrange for a possibility to participate (or at least listen) remote, I think I can find a back channel via Jabber/Skype/WebEx to channel comments into the meeting.

/Loa

On 2017-12-05 02:09, Lou Berger wrote:
>>      I understand, but unfortunate. I think we're really borderline 
>> on having a useful meeting and I think if Jouni can't make it we 
>> won't have critical mass.  -- time to start thinking alternatives...
>>
>> Does anyone disagree?
>>
>> Jouni,
>>
>>> At IETF100 it was suggested that we consider an interim meeting to 
>>> have some more focused discussion on resolving current major topics 
>>> in the WG, notably the data plane related open issues reviewed at IETF100.
>>> Some of our WG participants who also participate in IEEE 802.1 TSN 
>>> have graciously offered to arrange for meeting space as part of 
>>> their interim meeting and joint workshop with ITU-T Study Group 15.
>>>
>>> - Jan 26 Friday afternoon -  IETF DetNet WG - IEEE 802.1 TSN TG 
>>> joint session
>>>      workshop on Building Tomorrow's Networks
>>> It is important to note that the meeting location requires an ITU 
>>> badge for access and that badging will be limited to Friday and 
>>> Monday -- YOU MUST ATTEND FRIDAY if you wish to participate in 
>>> meetings on Saturday and Sunday.  There is no fee for attendance, 
>>> but no snacks/cookies/food provided.
>>>
>>> Please let us know if you will definitely attend (if held) or would 
>>> like to attend, but cannot yet commit.
>>>
>>> arrangements. If at all possible please respond by COB December 4, 
>>> if not earlier.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Pat and Lou
>>>

--

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 11:25:44 -0500

All,

    We've decided that, although close, we don't have sufficient
participation to hold the proposed in-person interim.  We will instead
be scheduling 3 2.5 hour virtual interims in the new year.  We have some
details to work out before we announce dates and times, but wanted to
let those who may be planning travel that the meeting will regrettably
*not* be held.

We'd like to thank the 802.1 TSN group, Glenn Parsons (and others) who
worked very hard to arrange the logistics for the in-person meeting.

Lou (and Co-chairs)