Subject: [Detnet] Last Call: <draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases-18.txt> (Deterministic Networking Use Cases) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 13:09:08 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Deterministic Networking WG (detnet)
to consider the following document: - 'Deterministic Networking Use Cases'
  <draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases-18.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-10-03. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This draft documents use cases in several diverse industries to
   establish multi-hop paths for characterized flows with deterministic
   properties.  In this context deterministic implies that flows can be
   established which provide guaranteed bandwidth and latency which can
   be established from either a Layer 2 or Layer 3 (IP) interface, and
   which can co-exist on an IP network with best-effort traffic.

   Additional use case properties include optional redundant paths, very
   high reliability paths, time synchronization, and clock distribution.
   Industries considered include professional audio, electrical
   utilities, building automation systems, wireless for industrial,
   cellular radio, industrial machine-to-machine, mining, private
   blockchain, and network slicing.

   For each case, this document will identify the application, identify
   representative solutions used today, and the improvements IETF DetNet
   solutions may enable.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-detnet-use-cases/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2710/