Subject: NT 3.51 Server and Linux DHCP Client

From: Daniel Thelen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:23:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I am trying to connect a Linux computer with a Win NT 3.51 server.
According to the manual of the client it works with that kind of server.
I identify with MAC Address the Linux computer, but it hasn't any name.
After a short time the Linux computer is shutting down the network.
Before it shuts down 'ifconfig' reports 0.0.0.0 as IP address. Probably
the computer is waiting for the NT server to get his dynamic IP. Does
anybody know how to solve that problem ??? Thanx a lot.

D.Thelen

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 07:13:18 -0400 (EDT)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are bugs in NT; can't remember what they are.  Every SP they seem to
fix something.  There's another DHCP fix in the upcoming SP4 for NT4.0.
Seriously NT3.51 is a bit old.

Sieve the DHCPv4 Working Group list for the details, to see if NT bugs are
causing the problem.  There's a Micro$oft guy on the list, so these issues
pop up from time to time.

Then again, it could be a config thing.  Does everything work with static
IP?

---
Rhandeev Singh                          [email-masked]
Linux User Group                        http://linux.comp.nus.edu.sg
School of Computing                     http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg
National University of Singapore

---

From: Ye Gu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:26:54 -0400 (EDT)

Are you running NT 3.51 SP5?  What's your server configuration?  The
quickest way to find out whether this is a server or client problem is to
sniff the wire for all DHCP packets.  After the sniff, if you still think
it's the server causing the problem, you can search the KnowledgeBase on
http://www.microsoft.com for known issues or contact our product support.

Cheers,

Ye

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 23, 1998 4:15 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: NT 3.51 Server and Linux DHCP Client

---