Subject: Problems with NT and AIX V4.31 DHCP (fwd)

From: "Ralph E. Droms" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 22:27:28 -0400 (EDT)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a DHCP server running on an IBM F50 running AIX4.3.1.  It 
appears (tho sometimes, in this kind of situation, it can be 
difficult to distinguish which is cause and which is effect) that:
  1)  a Windows NT printer server we have is requesting all available 
DHCP addresses on after another.
  2) The AIX DHCP server stores a client ID that 2-3x longer than the 
one I see for a W85 machines
  3) When I try to drop some of these address (dadmin -d <clientID>), 
it doesn't drop and, about half the time, it hangs or blows away the 
dhcpsd daemon

Comments?  ideas for problem determination?
// Stewart Dean - [email-masked]
//
// Machiavelli said (in essence):
//   Bad mercenaries will lose your country for you,
//   "good" ones will take it away from you....
//   Don't use mercenaries
// Dean's corollary:
//  Hiring temps or vendor employees may be all the rage...
//    but they're the same as mercenaries:
//  You give neither loyalty nor committment; 
//    the favor, if returned, should come as no surprise
//  Look to your own honor if you expect any from them.

---

From: Diana Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:38:58 -0500 (EST)

Is the NT print server running RAS?  I have seen RAS servers eat away at
DHCP pools and RAS servers do have long MAC addresses, starting with
52:41:53 H.  You might try supplying it completely unroutable addresses to
get it to stop requesting, or denying it addresses entirely based on a
hardware address mask.

I hope this helps!

Diana Lane, 501/277-3177
[email-masked]
Sr. Network Engineer
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Ralph E. Droms [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Saturday, October 24, 1998 9:32 PM
	To:	Multiple recipients of list
	Subject:	Problems with NT and AIX V4.31 DHCP (fwd)

	message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked]
follows.
	
---------------------------------------------------------------------
	I have a DHCP server running on an IBM F50 running AIX4.3.1.  It 
	appears (tho sometimes, in this kind of situation, it can be 
	difficult to distinguish which is cause and which is effect) that:
	  1)  a Windows NT printer server we have is requesting all
available 
	DHCP addresses on after another.
	  2) The AIX DHCP server stores a client ID that 2-3x longer than
the 
	one I see for a W85 machines
	  3) When I try to drop some of these address (dadmin -d
<clientID>), 
	it doesn't drop and, about half the time, it hangs or blows away the

	dhcpsd daemon

---

From: Greg Althaus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:56:33 -0500 (EST)

I don't know about 1 or 2, but 3 is fixed and will soon be available on the
fixdist servers.  You can call the 1-800-call-aix number to request a fix.

If you have other questions, we can take this off the DHCP working group list.
I figure the others don't necessarily need this information.

Thanks,
Greg Althaus
AIX TCPIP Development and Support.
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 06:47:44 -0500 (EST)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Great Greg...thanks for answering....send commo on this to
[email-masked]....I'm the sysdadm there in a trueblue AIX
shop....something I don't care to advert widely.  My phone is
914-758-7475.  I have bos.net.tcp.client and server at 4.3.1.3; am
downloading 4.3.1.4....anything else.

MUCH thanbks!

> AIX TCPIP Development and Support.
// "I build my cars to go, not to stop", Ettore Bugatti
// Stewart Dean Kingston, NY