Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-04.txt

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:01:50 -0400 (EDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.  This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host
Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Automatically Choosing an IP Address in an
			  Ad-Hoc IPv4 Network
	Author(s)	: R. Troll
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-04.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 15-Apr-99
	
With operating systems appearing in more and more devices, as well
as computers appearing in more and more aspects of everyday life,
communication between networked devices is increasingly important.
The communication mechanism between these devices must be able to
not only support the office LAN environment, but must also scale to
larger WANS and the internet.

This draft describes a method by which a host may automatically give
itself a link-local IPv4 address, so that it will be able to use IP
applications in the absence of an IP address management mechanism,
such as DHCP.  This mechanism is in use today by a few operating
systems, and additional information on those implementations is also
provided.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in

http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-04.txt

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-04.txt>