Subject: dhcp + Authentication

From: "Jim Greene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:37:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Group...
    I have a question regarding the use of DHCP and authentication.
Is there a way to make the client provide authentication information before
dhcpd will give the client an IP address.  Is there other ways to go about
this.  I know Road Runner and others do this.  DO you have any idea how it
is done ?.  From reading over the dhcp RFC's there is nothing built in that
I can see.  ANy help would be appreciated A LOT

Thanks

Jim G

---

From: "Bill Moore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:29:37 -0400 (EDT)

DHCP + Authentication = PPP over Ethernet

Well, not exactly.  But some of the big DSL and cable modem service
providers are looking to PPP over Ethernet as a better alternative to DHCP
for dynamic configuration and authentication.  PPP over Ethernet and uses
existing RADIUS-based billing and provisioning systems.
http://www.nts.com/library/tlpppoe.html

Bill Moore
NTS
http://www.nts.com

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jim
> Greene
> Sent: Friday, April 30, 1999 1:41 PM
> To: Multiple recipients of list
> Subject: dhcp + Authentication
>
>
> Hello Group...

---

From: "William A. Arbaugh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 22:23:13 -0400 (EDT)

Base DHCP authentication does not provide authentication, however, a draft
has been published (see Ralph Droms site www.dhcp.org).  There are a few
issues that have been resolved but are not in the current draft. I hope to
publish a new draft within a few weeks. Please look at the current one and
ask any questions you like.

As for RoadRunner, I have no idea what they are doing. I would like to
hear if anyone knows.

Bill