Subject: Error message question from the field....

From: Donna Maciolek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:44:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hello.  I discovered your listserv on the IETF website when I was searching for the
answer to the following question.  Anyone out there who can answer it?  Would be
much appriciated!  Thanks!

Since migration to NetID, when I reboot my PC I always 
get Warning EventID 1002 in my Win NT4.0 Workstation Eventlog.  
It states: "DHCP received and unknown option 012 of length 010.
The raw option data is given below."  In DWORD form it looks like this:
0000: 35524357 39373936 3900.  I have looked around for this EventID and for
this DCHP option and have not found any real explanation of the error.

Microsoft lists event 1002 as a DHCP error with no explanation that I can find.
RFC 2132 lists default option 012 as "Option Host Name." 

Does this error message simply mean
that my host (PC) name is not qualified within our local domain?

These errors are filling up the logs on our servers also...

There is no option 012 defined in NetID.  We also use new
Cicso Catalyst 1924 and Catalyst 5500 switches if that matters....

Any ideas?

---

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 14:27:08 -0400 (EDT)

This is a product-specific question that would be best answered by the
technical support group for NT.

> The raw option data is given below."

> RFC 2132 lists default option 012 as "Option Host Name."

NT cannot and will not use the hostname option. For more details, call
the product support group for NT.

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                            [email-masked]
+1-650-685-0557                                    http://www.ehsco.com