Subject: DHCP client behavior

From: Per Wadelius <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 02:58:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hello!

If a DHCP client is in INIT-REBOOT state and sends DHCPREQUEST and gets
no DHCPACK or DHCPNAK. Is it correct for that client to use its previous
address if it gets no answer from an ARP request.

- Per Wadelius

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:07:37 -0400 (EDT)

> address if it gets no answer from an ARP request.

The client is permitted to continue using the address until the lease
expires, at which time it must stop using it regardless of whether or
not it gets an answer to its ARP.

			       _MelloN_

---

From: "Richard Letts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 10:56:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Behalf Of Ted Lemon
> not it gets an answer to its ARP.

it might try sending packets, but in general, it won't get off the subnet. I
have problems with roving Windows users, they have to manually realease and
renew their IP addresses. The DHCP client seems to give up because the ARP
for the router address to send a unicast DHCPrequest to the server to renew
its lease on reboot.

Richard Letts
Desktop and Network Services Manager  mail:    [email-masked]
University of Salford                 phone:     +44 161 295 5252
Great Britain                         fax:       +44 161 295 5888