Subject: Re: dhcp + Authentication

From: Rich Woundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 19:54:46 -0400 (EDT)

My understanding of the RoadRunner cable system is that the computer device
gets an IP address from DHCP *before* the login/authentication process is
started. The login process disables traffic filters elsewhere in the cable
system on a per-user basis. The login protocol appears to use a TCP
connection to connect to an authentication server.

-- Richard Woundy, Cisco Systems

At 10:23 PM 4/30/99 -0400, William A. Arbaugh wrote:
>Base DHCP authentication does not provide authentication, however, a draft
>has been published (see Ralph Droms site www.dhcp.org).  There are a few
>issues that have been resolved but are not in the current draft. I hope to
>publish a new draft within a few weeks. Please look at the current one and
>ask any questions you like.
>
>As for RoadRunner, I have no idea what they are doing. I would like to
>hear if anyone knows.
>
>Bill
>
>On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Jim Greene wrote:
>
>> Hello Group...
>>     I have a question regarding the use of DHCP and authentication.
>> Is there a way to make the client provide authentication information before
>> dhcpd will give the client an IP address.  Is there other ways to go about
>> this.  I know Road Runner and others do this.  DO you have any idea how it
>> is done ?.  From reading over the dhcp RFC's there is nothing built in that
>> I can see.  ANy help would be appreciated A LOT
>> 
>> Thanks
>> 
>> Jim G
>> 
>> 
>