Subject: Re: draft-ietf-ip1394-dhcp-01.txt

From: Mike Carney - SNT Internet Engineering <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:32:26 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for passing this along, Thomas. I too think that this should be
a joint DHCP/1394 effort. (is the 1394 WG in agreement?)

When I read this note, a few hairs were raised on the back of my neck like
the other implementors. After checking our code, it turns out that the
draft as it is now will work just fine with our implementation. The "IPv4
over IEEE 1394" draft states that a node_ID changes each time a device is
added or removed from the bus, which explains the node_ID's transience.

I'm not at all familiar with IEEE 1394. Any chance of having someone from
the 1394 WG either send a brief description of the architecture to the
DHC WG alias (preferred) or stop by in Oslo and give a brief talk (less
preferred, for those that can't make oslo)?

One question I have is: What does a 1394 topology look like? How many
devices does one typically connect to a bus? The draft mentions a bridge,
which seems to suggest you could have quite a few devices. Using the
limited broadcast address for replies is typically something we try
to avoid, particularly when there's lots of nodes that could be affected.

Mike Carney
SNT Internet Engineering
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Mailstop UBUR02-212
One Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803