Subject: Re: Questions pertaining to a particular vendor's products

From: Rob Stevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:56:00 -0400 (EDT)

At 10:31 PM 6/17/99 -0400, Eric Hall wrote:
>
>Is there not a DHCP-Interest list for these kinds of questions?
>
>

I agree with this sentiment.
Questions about a particular vendor's products,  should surely not appear
in this newsgroup. I would except the ISC and other freely
available software as being generally for the public good,
and other questions directed at a particular vendor which have a direct
bearing on some question of widespread de facto usage,
which are relevant to evolvement of the protocol.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:46:41 -0400 (EDT)

We do actually get a reasonable number of general protocol questions
on the ISC DHCP mailing lists, and generally try to answer them to the
best of our ability.   It's perfectly acceptable to refer people to
the ISC mailing lists.   I don't know if it's likely that there would
be another free mailing list besides the WG mailing list on which
there'd be people technically literate enough to answer questions like
this.   The ISC would be very happy to set up a dhcp-interest mailing
list for this purpose, however, if there'd be some interest here in
people who'd subscribe to it so that questions like this could be
answered.   FWIW, I sent an answer to the guy who asked this
particular question...

			       _MelloN_

---

From: Donna Maciolek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:14:33 -0400 (EDT)

I sent a message to this list a while back to ask a question about
a DHCP vendor option on NetID (We think this is what is causing the 
"option of unknown length" DHCP error we get when we are sent ACKs
from NetID.)

I got a couple answers to check TechNet and ignored :)  (I HAD checked
TechNet but we were interested in asking the experts, you guys, 
since TechNet had no relavent information.... )

 I did like others, 
did a search on the web, found the IETF site, and here I found you guys.
I still subscribe to your list because it is interesting and I am learning from it, 
but it would be great to have a place where us "normal" humans in the field,
and interested in DHCP, or having a DHCP problem, could ask questions.

I learned, and other than this will not post my ignorance in public, but will
sit and read and learn...  There must be others here like me though and will
be more to come...  

dm
---------------------- Forwarded by Donna Maciolek/CA/KAIPERM on 06/18/99 10:04 AM ---------------------------

[email-masked] on 06/18/99 09:50:00 AM
To:	[email-masked]@Internet
cc:	 (bcc: Donna Maciolek/CA/KAIPERM)
Subject:	Re: Questions pertaining to a particular vendor's products 

			       _MelloN_

---

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:55:26 -0400 (EDT)

> but it would be great to have a place where us "normal" humans in the
> field, and interested in DHCP, or having a DHCP problem, could ask
> questions.

> There must be others here like me though and will be more to come...

It would be nice if you had a place to go explicitly designed to help
you resolve your problems, and where you could help others as well. I
believe that this purpose would be best served with a DHCP-Interest
list. If ISC is willing to host it, I am willing to read it and do my
best to help.

I don't feel like this list is the best place for these questions
though, for the simple reason that not that many people read it. A lot
more people (including more end-users hopefully) would probably read a
general DHCP-Interest list if such an animal existed and were made known
to the general public. Maybe vendors can post links on their sites?

I also strongly believe that more end-users should get involved in the
IETF process in particular, which means subscribing to the dev lists and
making your desires, wishes and problems known. Most end-users only
lurk, which doesn't really count.

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                            [email-masked]
+1-650-685-0557                                    http://www.ehsco.com