Subject: network of local interface not served?

From: Jan Krueger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:30:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

we have another minor problem here. If there is no solution it may
be considered as a feature request:

Our dhcp-server has no clients in the subnet the local interface is in.
Every request comes through the gateway.

But we are forced by error-messages and exits() to configure an empty subnet
definition for this subnet. For that reason we have all the dhcp-traffic
on this subnet in the log-file.

Has someone a solution the prevents our logfile from growing?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Jan
-- 
[email-masked]     | CeBit98: thinking on demand business 
http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~jk/ | solutions improvement for a small planet

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:59:50 -0400 (EDT)

> on this subnet in the log-file.

You'd have it in your log file anyway - the message would just be
different.

> Has someone a solution the prevents our logfile from growing?

If you don't want to see log messages for every packet you receive
(and I assume from your complaint above that you're using the ISC DHCP
server :') you should set your syslog configuration to ignore messages
at the LOG_INFO level.   If you want to collect DHCP log messages in a
different file, you can recompile the DHCP server with the log
facility redefined to something other than LOG_DAEMON (see
includes/site.h) for details.

There's actually a section describing how to do this in Ralph's and my
new book, which will be available in the not-too-distant future.

If you want to disable logging on some networks but not others, this
isn't currently supported, but probably will be either in 3.0 or 3.1.
Of course, then you'll *definitely* want subnet declarations for
unserved networks!   :')

			       _MelloN_