Subject: Revised WG charter (2nd posting)

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:50:57 -0400 (EDT)

Included below is a revised charter for the DHC WG.

Thomas and Erik: please forward this charter to the IESG for their review.

- Ralph

=====

Description of Working Group: 

This working group has developed DHCP for automated allocation,
configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP protocol stack
parameters.  DHCP is currently a "Draft Standard".  The working group
now has four main objectives:

* Revise and submit the DHCP specification for acceptance as a Full
  Standard

* Develop a roadmap for the review and acceptance of new options,
  define a new option syntax, develop an accurate list of assigned
  option codes and identify option codes that can be safely reassigned

* Develop a specification for DHCP for IPv6

* Develop an inter-server communication for coordination of multiple
  servers

* Review new options for DHCP, as deemed appropriate by the working
  group chair and/or the Internet area directors; specific options
  currently under review in the working group include:

  o Mechanisms for the authentication of clients and servers 

  o Interaction between DHCP and DNS dynamic update protocol

  o Definition of a DHCP MIB for management of DHCP servers through SNMP

  O Definition of an LDAP schema to provide a standardized format for
    the storage and retrieval of DHCP information, primarily
    configuration and lease data; this schema will be developed in
    coordination with the Policy Frameworks Working Group as
    appropriate. 

  o Options through which DHCP relay agents can pass information to DHCP
    servers

  o Other options: user class, server selection, domain search

Goals and Milestones:

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on subnet selection option in time
            for Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on LDAP schema for DHCP in time for
            Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on DHCP authentication in time for
            Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on failover protocol in time for
            Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on relay agent options in time for
            Oslo IETF.

Jun 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on DHCP-DNS interaction in time for
            Oslo IETF.

Jul 1999    Submit Internet-Draft on DHCP authentication for WG last
            call.

Jul 1999    Develop plan for review of DHCP specification and
            acceptance as Internet Standard.

Sep 1999    Submit DHCP server MIB specification for WG
            last call.

Sep 1999    Submit subnet selection option specification
            for WG last call.

Nov 1999    Submit DHCP server MIB specification for IESG
            consideration as a Proposed Standard.

Nov 1999    Submit LDAP schema specification for WG last
            call.

Mar 2000    Submit LDAP schema specification for IESG
            consideration as a Proposed Standard.