Subject: Revised WG charter

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 06:45:17 -0400 (EDT)

I've included a revised WG charter below.  Please respind to the mailing
list with comments and suggestions.  I'm working with ID authors to develop
milestones and goals for individual documents.

- Ralph

=====

Description of Working Group: 

This working group has developed DHCP for automated allocation,
configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP protocol stack
parameters.  DHCP is currently a "Draft Standard".  The working group
now has four main objectives:

* Revise and submit the DHCP specification for acceptance as a Full Standard

* Develop additional functions for DHCP

* Develop an accurate list of assigned option codes and identify
  option codes that can be safely reassigned

* Develop a specification for DHCP for IPv6

Specific additional functions to be developed by the working group include:

o Interaction between DHCP and DNS dynamic update protocol (ddns) 

o Inter-server communication for coordination of multiple servers 

o Mechanisms for the authentication of clients and servers 

o Definition of a DHCP MIB for management of DHCP servers through SNMP

O Definition of an LDAP schema to provide a standardized format for
  the storage and retrieval of DHCP information, primarily
  configuration and lease data; this schema will be developed in
  coordination with the Policy Frameworks Working Group as
  appropriate. 

o Options through which DHCP relay agents can pass information to DHCP
  servers

o Other options: user class, server selection, domain search

o Roadmap for development of new options, option syntax and option
  acceptance procedures