Subject: Who know the real implemantion of DHCP Client on Java Platform

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 23:38:42 -0400 (EDT)

Message forwarded from [email-masked]:

Dear friends,
    Who know the real implemantion of DHCP Client on Java Platform?
    I have tried the JDHCP client examples from JDHCP project Page.But the
code
is only ok when my computer has IP address.I think the DHCP is used to get the
IP address,so this is one problem.
    I want to get a real implemention of JDHCP client.This is very important
for me.
    Who can help me?
    Please help me!
sincerely
Hezhongshu

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:14:57 -0400 (EDT)

> is only ok when my computer has IP address.I think the DHCP is used to get
> the IP address,so this is one problem.
Hezhongshu ,

A DHCP implementation on the Java platform would only be possible with
additional (non JDK) interfaces, since it is not possible to do host
parameter reconfiguration or open raw sockets with the base API.  A DHCP
client implementation would have to have platform specific (native) code.
There is no reason in principal that this couldn't be done, but it wouldn't
be 'pure.'

Erik