Subject: unknown options...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:03:47 -0400 (EDT)

All,

I have an interesting problem here and hope someone can give some suggestions.

DHCP server is running on an AIX box with bos.net.tcp.server code 4.3.2.  WinNT
clients gets some warning msg in the event viewer.  It says: DHCP received an
unknown option 45.   DHCP received an unknown option5; DHCP received an unknown
option 12; DHCP received an unknown option 28.  Funny thing is that I don't even
have option 12 configured in the server config file.  Microsoft doesn't support
option 45 (NBDD), but shouldn't it simply ignore it?  As for option 28 and 5, I
can't think why winNT doesn't like it.

BTW, the warning msgs don't seem to stop clients from getting an IP.

Any suggestions?  would it eventually cause  problems?

thanks
Hannah Oyoung

---

From: "HIBBS, BARR (PB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:16:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hannah--

Microsoft clients complain when they receive an option that they did not
request or is not in a brief list of acceptable options -- look in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base for article Q121005, "DHCP Options Supported by
Clients" for a complete list.  Only options 1, 3, 6, 15, 44, 46, 47, 51, 53,
58, and 59 are supported.

The dialogue box that is displayed when other options are received is a bit
annoying, but ultimately harmless, as the Microsoft clients simply ignore
any options besides the ones they specifically accept.

--Barr

> From: 	[email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Friday, July 30, 1999 9:03 AM
> To: 	Multiple recipients of list
> Subject: 	unknown options...
> 
> unknown option 45.   DHCP received an unknown option5; DHCP received an
> unknown option 12; DHCP received an unknown option 28.  Funny thing is
> that I don't even have option 12 configured in the server config file.
> Microsoft doesn't support option 45 (NBDD), but shouldn't it simply ignore
> it?  As for option 28 and 5, I can't think why winNT doesn't like it.
> 
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:20:13 -0400 (EDT)

Barr,

Thanks.  This does explain why the MS clients complaint about the options.
However, it doesn't explain why they even bother reporting option 12 since I
don't even have option 12 configured in the server.  Also, I had another DHCP
server running on 4.2 code with the same options configured prior to the current
server, the MS clients only complained about option 45.  Since I put the new
server to production, I started to see not only option 45, but 5, 12, 28...Note,
nothing has changed on the MS clients.  Any more suggestions?

Thanks
Hannah

Hannah--

--Barr

---

From: David Babbitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 18:13:12 -0400 (EDT)

AIX 4.3.1+ will send back the hostname that is sent to it.
You can prevent this by placing "option 12 deny" in the subnet
from which the client is getting its address or in the global area
outside of all subnets.

To quote Ted:
Two things.   First, there is now a mailing list for asking questions
like this: [email-masked].   This mailing list is technically
for discussion of the protocol, not for asking for help with existing
applications. ... If this doesn't help you, please follow up with 
whatever you have learned on the dhcp-interest mailing list, and we'll 
try to help you solve this problem.   To subscribe, send mail to
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the subject line.

Thanks.
Dave

-- 
David Babbitt
AIX TCP/IP Development
IBM Austin