Subject: problems implementing dhcp on Linux

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 08:55:43 -0400 (EDT)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I am having problems getting my Window NT machine to detect my DHCP
server.  My DHCP server is on a Linux machine running redhat 6.  The
DHCP server detects the DHCPDISCOVER request from my laptop running 
Windows NT and sends a DHCPOFFER reply, but my laptop does not see the
reply.  I've read somewhere I had to add a router of 255.255.255.255.
That didn't help at all.  Is there anything else I can try?

Lewis

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 11:16:51 -0400 (EDT)

> That didn't help at all.  Is there anything else I can try?

I would encourage you to do two things.

First, get the very latest version 2.0 distribution of the ISC DHCP
server.   Based on what you've said, it sounds like you're using an
old RPM with 2.0b1pl6.   The latest distribution is at:

	     ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/dhcp/dhcp-2.0.tar.gz

When you get the new distribution, read the README file - it tells you
how to configure it on various versions of Linux.

If this doesn't help, subscribe to the [email-masked] mailing
list - send mail to [email-masked] with the word
"subscribe" in the subject line.  Then ask your question there.
Include the version of the Linux kernel and the name of the
distribution.   Include a log of the client trying to boot.   Send the
output of: tcpdump -x -n -e -s 1500 udp port 67, run while the client
is trying to boot.   We'll do our best to help you!

			       _MelloN_