Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-aboba-zeroconf-multi-00.txt

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:44:29 -0400 (EDT)

FYI...

- Ralph

=====

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Auto-Addressing in Multi-segment Networks
	Author(s)	: B. Aboba
	Filename	: draft-aboba-zeroconf-multi-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 07-Oct-99
	
Today, with the rapid rise of home networking, there is an increasing
need for simplified mechanisms for IPv4 address allocation within multi-
segment networks connected by a single router. This issue can arise, for
example, in the case of a home network supporting 802.11 wireless as
well as Ethernet.
In multi-segment small networks connected by a single router, it may be
desirable to provide for consistent IPv4 addressing in the case where
the small network has not been assigned a routable IPv4 address prefix.
This draft describes how this problem may be solved through
implementation of a mini-DHCP server within the router. The router may
either be disconnected from the Internet, in which case the hosts on the
multiple segments will only be able to reach other, or the router may
offer Internet connectivity via Network Address Translation (NAT), or
another suitable mechanism, such as RSIP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aboba-zeroconf-multi-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-aboba-zeroconf-multi-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in

http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-aboba-zeroconf-multi-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-aboba-zeroconf-multi-00.txt

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aboba-zeroconf-multi-00.txt>