Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-client-options-00.txt

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 07:32:57 -0400 (EDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group
of the IETF.

	Title		: Interpreting Client Options for the Dynamic Host 
                          Configuration Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Hibbs, N. Lane 
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-client-options-00.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 19-Oct-99
	
During the summer of 1999, a grand debate raged over the correct
interpretation of several DHCP client options as described in [RFC
2132], as well as the need for one option whose proposing
Internet-Draft expired.
As a result of that debate, the authors gained some insights into
the intended (or unintended!) interpretation of certain options
defined in [RFC 2132,] particularly the Vendor Class Identifier
(option 60) and Vendor Encapsulated Options (option 43.)
These insights are presented in this informational Internet-Draft,
whose reason for being is to act as an aid to implementers of the
DHC protocol, and to future editors of the underlying RFCs and
selected, current Internet-Drafts.  This memo is not being
proposed as a standards-track document, but rather as an aid to
clarify existing and future RFCs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-client-options-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-client-options-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in

http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-client-options-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-client-options-00.txt

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-client-options-00.txt>