Subject: DHCP and Internet Access

From: [email-masked] (by way of Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 08:31:43 -0400 (EDT)

message sent to [email-masked] by [email-masked] follows.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi -

I am currently setting up a DHCP server for what will be around 500 clients.
Circa 100 of which are considered "trusted clients" and have been granted
Internet Access via their IP address thru the firewall.  

What I need to know is this - Is it possible to configure a Solstice
Firewall to grant access to the Internet via recognising a trusted machine
name, or does it need to operate via the IP address? If we cannot change the
firewall, is there anyway we can reserve a bank of IPs on the DHCP server to
allocate to certain machine names?

Thanks

James Herbert
Internal Systems
Wilco International Ltd

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which 
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. 
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any 
action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than
the intended recipient is prohibited. 
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
materialfrom any computer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which 
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. 
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any 
action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than
the intended recipient is prohibited. 
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
materialfrom any computer.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:41:52 -0400 (EDT)

> Is it possible to configure a Solstice Firewall to grant access to
> the Internet via recognising a trusted machine name, or does it need
> to operate via the IP address?

ENOCLUE - sorry.

> If we cannot change the firewall, is there anyway we can reserve a
> bank of IPs on the DHCP server to allocate to certain machine names?

The ISC DHCP server, version 3.0, and probably other DHCP servers, can
be configured to recognize some machines as "known" and others as
unknown, or to just group machines into different classes.  You can
then allocate seperate address pools for each class, or for known
versus unknown clients.  The details of how to do this are described
in the DHCP Handbook, Chapter 17, as well as in the manual pages that
come with the ISC DHCP server.

With the Microsoft server that comes with NT 4.0SP4, you can make
reservations for clients, similar to fixed-address allocation on the
ISC DHCP server, and so you could simply assign specific IP addresses
to specific clients, and then enable those addresses on your
firewall.   AFAIK, all available DHCP servers support this method of
address allocation.

			       _MelloN_