Subject: Minutes from DC WG meetings

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:40:44 -0500 (EST)

Here are the draft minutes from the DC WG meetings.  Please
review and post comments by this afternoon as the minutes are
due today.

I'm sorry for the short notice for review and comment on
the minutes...

- Ralph

Tuesday, Nov 9 at 0900-1130 (DHCPv4)
====================================

Dynamic host configuration : DHCP reconfigure extension Yves T'Joens (Alcatel)
draft-schrijvp-dhcpv4-reconfigure-00.txt

The author described a proposed option for a unicast message to
trigger DHCP client reconfiguration.  The WG provided feedback (add
authentication, make draft more precise) and agreed to consider the
option after a new draft is submitted.

The Name Service Search Option for DHCP                 Carl Smith (Sun)
draft-ietf-dhc-nsso-01.txt

The WG suggested using a 16-bit value for the service numbers, and to
define 0 as a reserved value to configure the client to look in local
configuration table.  The draft will be ready for WG last call after a
final small revision.

DHCP Failover Protocol                                  Kim Kinnear (Cisco)
draft-ietf-dhc-failover-05.txt

Kim reported on phone conferences held since last WG meeting.  He
will schedule one or two additional phone conferences and submit a new
draft for (well before?) the next IETF.

The User Class Option for DHCP                          Jerome Privat (BT)
draft-ietf-dhc-userclass-04.txt

The WG provided feedback on the most recent draft: simplify the draft,
reduce "MUST" policy directives.  The author will revise draft
according to WG feedback.

Double Phase DHCP Configuration                         Jerome Privat (BT)
draft-privat-dhc-doublephase-01.txt

WG suggested splitting this document into two drafts: an informational
draft for the proxy mechanism and a standards track draft for redirect
option.  WG will continue to review this option after new drafts are
published. 

Dynamic Registration and Configuration Protocol (DRCP)  Anthony McAuley
draft-itsumo-drcp-00.txt                                (Telcordia)

Protocol related to DHCP that reduces DHCP client-server communication
latency through distributed DHCP servers (or proxies).  The WG
expressed the opinion that this may be a new protocol, not DHCP.  The
WG agreed to look at the next draft and decide whether or not to
review the protocol.

Authentication for DHCP Messages                        Bill Arbaugh (Penn)
draft-ietf-dhc-authentication-12.txt

Bill reported on suggestions from Volz. Ran Atkinson suggested
splitting into two drafts; WG chose to leave "as is".  Draft will go
to WG last call after next revision.

DHCP Authentication Via Kerberos V                      Bernard Aboba
draft-hornstein-dhc-kerbauth-01.txt                     (Microsoft)

Bernard presented an extension to DHCP to provide Kerberos V
authentication between clients and servers and to provide interdomain
authentication.  The basic mechanism is to transport Kerberos
authentication data in DHCP messages (with, potentially, other
communication between Kerberos participants).  The WG suggested
external, authoritative review of the application of Kerberos
technology and took no specific action.

DHC load balancing algorithm                            Bernie Volz
draft-ietf-dhc-loadb-00.txt                             (Process Software)

This draft results from load balancing technology developed with
failover protocol, which seemed to have wider application to DHCP
server configuration.  Mike Patrick expressed concern about the

necessity of configuring relay agents to match servers (if not, some
requests may get dropped).  Bernie will revise draft according to
feedback from WG, and WG will continue to review the document.

The Server Selection Option for DHCP                    Bill Sommerfield
draft-ietf-dhc-sso-03.txt                               (Epilogue)

Rob Stevens suggested this option overlaps with load balancing; WG
consensus was that overlap was small enough to warrant continued
consideration of the server selection option.  The WG suggested
simplifying the draft (e.g., the descriptions of profiles), changing
several "MUST"s to "SHOULD"s, and to allow lease time as tie breaker.
Bill will revise and the WG will review the next draft.

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Server MIB   Barr Hibbs (Pacbell)
draft-ietf-dhc-server-mib-04.txt

Barr will post specific questions to the WG mailing list and revise
MIB according to feedback.  Next revision should be ready for WG last
call. 

Interpreting Client Options for DHCP                    Barr Hibbs (Pacbell)
draft-ietf-dhc-client-options-00.txt

Barr will withdraw this draft or let it expire.  Ted Lemon volunteered
to begin work on a revision of RFC 2131/2132 that will be submitted
for full Standard status.  This revision will include clarifications
and revised text based on Barr's draft as well as other experience
with DHCP.

Option for NAT/IPSec interaction                        Jose Brustoloni
(no draft available)                                    (Bell Labs)

This option addresses interoperation problems between NAT and IPSec.
WG provided feedback and will review a revised draft.

Subnet selection option                                 Ted Lemon
draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-option-03.txt                     (for Glenn Waters)

Draft is ready for WG last call.

Static routes with subnet masks option                  Ted Lemon
(no draft available)

Ted will write up draft for an option to pass a list of static routes
with subnet masks.

Domain name search list option                          Ted Lemon
draft-ietf-dhc-domsrch-02.txt

Ted will track down previous draft and move it forward.

Tuesday, Nov 9 at 1300-1400 (DHCPv4)
====================================

DHCP Relay Agent Information Option                     Mike Patrick (Motorola)
draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-07.txt

Mike described Motorola IPR statement.  A few new issues were raised:
subnet sub-option (WG consensus was to keep it); interaction between
relay agent option and IPSec (relay agent should not add option);
server should not assume relay agent is present and may choose to add
a relay agent information option.  The WG agreed to hold a last call
on a revised document that addresses these points.

DHCP Schema for LDAP                                    Bernie Volz
draft-ietf-dhc-schema-01.txt                            (Process Software)

Changes since last revision:

* New class, containment and inheritance hierarchy
* Uses common name attribute
* Added dhcpPolicy object class and text on mapping dhcpPolicy object
  to Policy WG schema
* Removed use of auxiliary classes

WG agreed to move forward as Proposed Standard document with
(potentially?) last call after next revision.

Interaction between DHCP and DNS                        Mark Stapp (Cisco)
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcp-dns-11.txt

A new RR for use with DHCP has been proposed.  DHCP will use this
instead of the previously proposed use of the KEY RR.  Also, the
security section must be updated to reflect TSIG.  Mark will
revise and resubmit the draft to reflect these changes.

A DNS RR for DHCP information                           Andreas Gustafsson
draft-ietf-dnsind-dhcp-rr-00.txt                        (Internet Engines)

The DHCP RR (name will likely change) is an opaque data item stored by
a DNS server and holds a DHCP client identifier to indicate the client
currently associated with a DNS entry.  The new RR holds only a client
identifier and no other information (e.g., lease).  The WG consensus
was that the DHCP RR will meet the requirements for DHCP-DNS
interaction and should be moved forward.

New Option Review Guidelines and                        Mike Carney (Sun)
  Additional Option Namespace
draft-ietf-dhc-option-review-and-namespace-01.txt

Mike solicited comments from the WG on section 5 (open issues) and
would like to go to last call after minor revisions addressing those
issues.

Tuesday, Nov 9 at 1415-1515 (DHCPv6)
====================================
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)   Mike Carney (Sun)
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-14.txt                            Jim  Bound (Compaq)
Extensions for the DHCP for IPv6                        Charlie Perkins (Nokia)
draft-ietf-dhc-v6exts-11.txt

WG discussed several open issues:

* Releasable resources: IPv6 addresses are one example; are there
  others (none suggested).  When and how should these resources be
  managed (what is leasing strategy) and released (to original server
  or any server)?
* Stateful autoconfiguration and multiple IP addresses: discussion
  centered on tradeoff between complexity and utility - client might
  make multiple requests for addresses in IPv4-IPv6 transition.
  Discussion will continue on DHCPv6 mailing list.
* Stateful autoconfiguration and use of multiple servers (e.g.,
  failover): any useful input from experience with DHCPv4?
* Document organization: authors prefer to leave as two documents.

Authors will pose questions separately to DHCPv6 mailing list for WG
discussion and publish revised draft by end of calendar year.

---

From: "HIBBS, BARR (PB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:31:19 -0500 (EST)

..ok as is...

--Barr

> ----------
> From: 	Ralph Droms[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Friday, December 10, 1999 9:40 AM
> To: 	Multiple recipients of list
> Subject: 	Minutes from DC WG meetings
>