Subject: help

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:08:32 +0200

Hi,
I have a problem..DHCP server seems runnning normal..But some hosts cant get
their reserved ip address..They take a strange address like 169.254.x.x..
I read that it's a new machanism called Automatic Private IP Addressing in
Win98..İt says that if a Windows 98 host cant find a DHCP server it
automatically assigns an private ip address (in srange 169.254.x.x) to
itself..And When the DHCP server becomes available again, it will assign
that computer an IP address.
Maybe sometimes hosts cant find the DHCP server,it's okey but I cant
understand that why the computer get it's real address after DHCP became
available..I tried release/renew all but nothing changed..
Can anyone help me?
Thanx..
Nihal Akbulut

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:43:36 -0500

This means that for some reason, your DHCP client is unable to contact
the DHCP server.   You need to use a network sniffer to figure out why
that is - maybe the network card on the machine isn't working, maybe
the cable isn't working, maybe a switch or router isn't working, or
maybe the DHCP server itself isn't working.

BTW, this mailing list is not intended as a place to get support for
DHCP servers.   If you are using the ISC DHCP server, please subscribe
to the ISC DHCP mailing list (see the README file in the DHCP
distribution for details).   If you are not using the ISC DHCP server,
please contact your vendor for support or subscribe to the
dhcp-interest mailing list, which is hosted by the ISC but is not
ISC-specific.   You can subscribe by sending mail to
[email-masked].   Then send your actual request for
further assistance to [email-masked] (you can't do this without
subscribing to the mailing list).

			       _MelloN_