Subject: Configuration Management

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 19:03:15 -0500 (EST)

I'm curious as to how the rest of the implementors are approaching the
problem of configuration management between the primary and secondary
servers.  As far as I can tell, the draft just says (implies?) that the two
servers are configured identically, and that's that.  However one must still
deal with the problem.  Does a configuration change mean that both servers
have to be effectively stopped, apply the configuration change, then restart
the services?  Or do the two servers talk to each other about config changes
when they happen?  And in this case, what if there are config changes during
COMMUNICATIONS-INTERRUPTED or PARTNER-DOWN states (ok, basically any state
other than NORMAL....)?

---

From: Richard Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:33:59 -0500 (EST)

Our product sternly admonishes (;-)) admins to use the UI to do any
kind of configuration or reconfiguration work on the engines. It offers
a remote 'update-restart' mechanism that restarts both members of
a failover relationship, and yelps piteously if the admin restarts one
engine without restarting the other. So, it's a Big Brother approach
that still allows a determined administrator to do whatever they
may choose.

Currently our servers do have to be brought down and brought
back up in order to change their configuration(s).