Subject: [dhcwg] Client identification clarification

From: "Guja, ArturX" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:05:28 +0200

Ok, here comes another one :)))

Questions:
How does the server identify the client? How does it choose 
what address to assign to the client?

How I understood the answers:
The clients sends a DUID option, that's clear (although the 
nature of the DUID is still unspecified, let's assume I've got
random numbers or ethernet addresses as DUIDs). Fine.

A client binding is a <DUID, IAID> tuple. Fine.

So does it suffice, if a server has an address range, eg:
from 2000:: to 2000::ffff and assigns hose addresses to
all clients requesting them.

Or should there be some other distinction? What I'm looking
here for is some way to let the administrator manage the 
addresses in a better way.

One thing, though: The server does not know anything else
about the client, apart from the DUID and IAID. Or does it???

Thank you all for your help here :)))

Artur G.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg