Subject: [dhcwg] Question about DHCPv6 authentication

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:05:00 -0400

Bernie Volz wrote:
> - The "AuthFailed" status code is not referenced explicitly in the 
> document except for in the list of Status Codes (24.4). Should this be 
> added to Chapter 21 somewhere? Perhaps text is needed in 21.5.2 that 
> says that a server should send a response (Reply or Advertise) with a 
> Status Code option with code AuthFailed and a message for the user, a 
> Server Identifier, and Client Identifier (if included in the original 
> message)? This would be instead of discarding the message? 
> 
> Or, is this status code really unnecessary? 

Good question - the doc currently specifies that messages that don't
pass authentication are discarded.  That behavior sounds right for a
client.  Should the server send the response it would have sent
(Advertise or Reply) with an AuthFailed status code?

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg