Subject: [dhcwg] I-D ACTION:draft-candolin-cam-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 06:36:24 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Context Aware Management Architecture
	Author(s)	: C. Candolin, H. Kari
	Filename	: draft-candolin-cam-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 27-Jun-02
	
Most protocols and applications are designed for connections that are
fairly static. When a node changes its point of attachment to the
Internet frequently, it must be able to rapidly adapt to the new
environment. Traditionally, each application and protocol tries to do
this independently of each other. In some cases, applications have
been tailored to communicate with one other protocol layer to notice
such changes. The main problem with this approach is that adding new
protocols and applications to the node cannot be made in a generic
way. In order to obtain at least some level of context awareness,
protocols and applications must be specifically tailored to
intercommunicate. This also adds complexity to application and protocol
design, since protocols and applications perform a wide range of tasks
for which they have not originally been designed. To overcome these
problems, we add a new Context Aware Management (CAM) layer to the
Internet Protocol stack. The purpose of CAM is to optimize the
functionality of the node by monitoring the environment for changes
and by adapting the behavior of the node accordingly. The protocols
and applications thus perform the tasks for which they have been
designed in the first place, and CAM makes the decisions regarding
which protocols to use and with what parameters.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-candolin-cam-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-candolin-cam-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-candolin-cam-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.