Subject: [dhcwg] NotOnlink status for confirm messages

From: "Vijayabhaskar A K" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:33:36 +0530

NoAddrsAvail      NoBinding      NotOnLink      UnspecFail

Solicit      Ignore              NA              NA             NA
            Advertise

Request       Choose             NA            Solicit          NA
            next server

Confirm        NA                NA            Solicit          NA

Renew          NA              Request           NA             NA

Rebind         NA              Request           NA             NA

Release        NA                NA              NA             NA

Decline        NA                NA              NA             NA

Inform-req     NA                NA              NA           Choose
                                                            next server

The above is the state diagram for the client.

(Renew, NotOnlink) and (Rebind, NotOnlink) is NA here, because, the server
will make lifetimes as 0, in the case the addresses are not in the link.

But (Confirm, NotOnlink) is a applicable. If the server finds that one or
more prefixes are not appropriate, then it will send NotOnlink status.
I think, for the confirm also, server can do operation similar to
(Renew, NotOnlink) but with little bit change. If one or more addresses are
not appropriate to the link, it can return those addresses ONLY with status
NotOnLink, else it canreturn SUCCESS. Thus the client can continue using
the addressses which are appropriate to the link. This will avoid client
sending SOLICIT unnecessarily.

~ Vijay

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg