Subject: [dhcwg] How to respond to Option 50 (requested address)

From: "Jeremy Levy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 12:47:01 -0400

I have written a DHCP server, however I can't find anything in the RFC
about how to handle Option 50, client requested IPAddress on a
DHCPDiscovery when I want to give the client a different address.  
 
Right now I just respond with a DHCPOffer with a different IP.  After 2
or 3 Discovers/Offers the client finally sends a request.  Am I handling
this properly?   I would like to get rid of those 2 or 3 middle
Discover/Offers and speed up the process a bit...

Thanks

Jeremy

---

From: Chris Pearson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:36:59 -0700

DHCPNAK.  Search RFC2131 for 'Requested IP Address' option for the answer.
HTH.

-- Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Levy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 9:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] How to respond to Option 50 (requested address)

I have written a DHCP server, however I can't find anything in the RFC about
how to handle Option 50, client requested IPAddress on a DHCPDiscovery when
I want to give the client a different address.  

Right now I just respond with a DHCPOffer with a different IP.  After 2 or 3
Discovers/Offers the client finally sends a request.  Am I handling this
properly?   I would like to get rid of those 2 or 3 middle Discover/Offers
and speed up the process a bit...

Thanks

Jeremy

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Jeremy Levy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 14:36:42 -0400

Even in a Discover? Maybe I am missing something but all I can find is
this:

"  If a server receives a DHCPREQUEST message with an invalid 'requested
   IP address', the server SHOULD respond to the client with a DHCPNAK
   message and may choose to report the problem to the system
   administrator.  The server may include an error message in the
   'message' option."

I don't see any information on how to handle this is in a discover if I
don't want to give the client its requested IP...

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Pearson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 3:37 PM
To: Jeremy Levy; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] How to respond to Option 50 (requested address)

DHCPNAK.  Search RFC2131 for 'Requested IP Address' option for the
answer. HTH.

-- Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Levy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 9:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] How to respond to Option 50 (requested address)

Right now I just respond with a DHCPOffer with a different IP.  After 2
or 3 Discovers/Offers the client finally sends a request.  Am I handling
this
properly?   I would like to get rid of those 2 or 3 middle
Discover/Offers
and speed up the process a bit...

Thanks

Jeremy

---

From: Chris Pearson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:50:37 -0700

Sorry, I missed your point.  Section 4.3.1 is pretty clear though:

   When a server receives a DHCPDISCOVER message from a client, the
   server chooses a network address for the requesting client.  If no
   address is available, the server may choose to report the problem to
   the system administrator. If an address is available, the new address
   SHOULD be chosen as follows:

      o The client's current address as recorded in the client's current
        binding, ELSE

      o The client's previous address as recorded in the client's (now
        expired or released) binding, if that address is in the server's
        pool of available addresses and not already allocated, ELSE

      o The address requested in the 'Requested IP Address' option, if that
        address is valid and not already allocated, ELSE

      o A new address allocated from the server's pool of available
        addresses; the address is selected based on the subnet from which
        the message was received (if 'giaddr' is 0) or on the address of
        the relay agent that forwarded the message ('giaddr' when not 0).

Note that not only does the server *not* have to offer the requested
address, it is not even the first choice.  And if the first two conditions
are absent, your server only "SHOULD" (not "MUST") assign the requested
address, so the implementation does have discretion to ignore the requested
address even in that case.

Apparently your client mistakenly believes that it will get its way by
repeatedly asking the same question.  The client could eliminate the entire
discover/offer exchange by initially broadcasting DHCPREQUEST with desired
IP per section 3.2, but I imagine that changing the client is not in your
control.

- Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Levy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2002 11:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] How to respond to Option 50 (requested address)

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Pearson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 3:37 PM
To: Jeremy Levy; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] How to respond to Option 50 (requested address)

-- Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Levy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 9:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] How to respond to Option 50 (requested address)

Thanks

Jeremy