Subject: [dhcwg] LeaseQuery-05 and time calculations

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:49:52 -0700

I think there's needs to be some clarification on the following (Section
6.4.2, last paragraph of page 19):

   A request for the Renewal (T1) Time Value option or the Rebinding
   (T2) Time Value option in the Parameter Request List of the
   DHCPLEASEQUERY message MUST be handled like the IP Address Lease Time
   option is handled.  If there is a valid lease, then the DHCP server
   SHOULD return these options (when requested) with the remaining time
   until renewal or rebinding, respectively.  If there is not currently
   a valid lease for this IP address, the DHCP server MUST NOT return
   these options.

This doesn't mention what to do if the T1 or T2 time has passed.  Options 58
and 59 have no provisions for returning negative numbers.  So would the
better behaviour be to send back a zero time, or not send the option at all?

Come to think of it... back up two paragraphs:

   If the IP Address Lease Time option (option 51) is specified in the
   Parameter Request List and if there is a currently valid lease for
   the IP address specified in the ciaddr, then the DHCP server MUST
   return this option in the DHCPLEASEKNOWN with its value equal to the
   time remaining until lease expiration.  If there is no valid lease
   for the IP address, then the server MUST NOT return the IP Address
   Lease Time option (option 51).

If there's a currently valid lease for the device, shouldn't it be returning
a DHCPLEASEACTIVE, not a DHCPLEASEKNOWN?  (Other than that discrepancy, the
paragraph is fine....)