Subject: RE: renewal time

From: Bernie Volz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:56:27 -0400

I think this also means that there is no reason for the client to send the
server the list of addresses it thinks are in the IA. Why waste the bits on
the wire and the server processing time when the server will tell the client
"here's the addresses associated with this IA" in the response anyway.

I've not been following all the discussions to closely the past few days, so
perhaps this was already considered.

- Bernie Volz

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 9:08 AM
To: DHCPv6 discussion list
Subject: Re: renewal time

I've been thinking of the action associated with renewal as the client 
asking the server "Tell me what addresses are in this IA now and how long I 
can use them".  If the preferred/valid times have changed, it's like a 
lease extension.  If a renumbering event is in progress, the server can 
assign new addresses.  In any event, the server - based on all the 
information the server has about the client - is informing the client of 
the addresses currently in the IA

- Ralph

At 10:42 PM 9/18/00 -0700, Ted Lemon wrote:

> > Correct new lease-times or the Server could not give the client an
> > address back meaning its expired too.  But no new addresses.
>
>Well, but if we're renumbering, the server might well give back a "new
>address", right?  I think the point is that that client isn't asking
>the server to do this - it's asking the server to renew.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:34:02 -0700

> "here's the addresses associated with this IA" in the response anyway.

There is a reason: to preserve address stability.   But it's not a
very good reason, and I think that by default the client probably
shouldn't bother to tell the DHCP server what its old address was.
There's only one catch here: we have to be careful that the client
doesn't get its IA whacked around by two non-cooperating DHCP servers
on the same wire.

			       _MelloN_