Subject: IP Address Reconfiguration

From: vijaya bhaskar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:00:17 +0530

Hello,

I'm working on dhcp for hp ISO.

In the Internet draft, it is told that releasable resources like ip
address can be reconfigured using Reconfigure-init followed by
Request/Reply . In case, if the ip address for an particular interface
is reconfigured, what will happen to the existing application running on
that ip address. Is these application needed to be restarted ?

waiting for your reply.

Regards,
Vijay.

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:35:19 -0700

Hello Vijay,

The reconfiguration you refer to was designed for network
renumbering and network administrative purposes.  Any network
renumbering would, presumably, be spread over long enough
time so that applications would be able to complete their
work before the expiration of the lifetime for their original
IP addresses.  Of course, you can always make an application
that needs to run for weeks or months and would thus violate
this design criterion, but the hope is that the overall number
of such applications will be vanishingly small.

Regards,
Charlie P.