Subject: [dhcwg] dhcpv6-22 DUID/VUID questions/comments

From: Michael Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:59:38 GMT

Gentles,

For the DUID contents definition (Section 11): 

Would you be adverse to expanding the size of the VUID to 128 bits or 
creating an additional type (4) for a 128 bit UUID? 

Reasoning: 

According to the dhcpv6-22 draft, "... the DUID used by a client SHOULD NOT 
change over time...".  From what I have seen, most new laptops, desktops & 
workstations (especially those that come with network installed) already 
contain, or have space reserved for, a 128 bit UUID that is intended to be 
used to manage/track the system identity.  Why have a vendor or IT assign 
yet another ID number to the system. 

Using the link-layer address is also not a unique solution.  Consider the 
two cases of (1) laptops connecting to docking stations that contain network 
adapters and (2) replacing defective or upgrading to new network adapters. 

%%michael 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg