Subject: [dhcwg] LDAP, NFS home directory attributes

From: Jason Spence <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 12:58:44 -0800

Hello -

I'm not on the list, please CC me on all replies.

I was talking with somone today about the number of Freenix systems
floating around organizations and how difficult they are to manage due
to the extensive manual configuration necessary for them to use
directory services and NFS mounted directories.  We came to the
conclusion that the optimal solution would be to have officially
recognized DHCP options for things like the LDAP server with
the posixAccounts for the organization and the NFS server serving the
home directories.  As far as I can tell, no work has been done on
creating such attributes, but maybe one of you can prove me wrong.

I'm working on a project right now to do this work using non-standard
attributes and a patched DHCP client, but would really like to see
this standardized in an RFC.  My goal is to be able to plug a Freenix
box into any one of my client's networks and have it automatically
start resolving uid/gids through the LDAP server and mount my home
directory, providing a completely consistent environment wherever I
go with zero client configuration.

-- 
 - Jason

Important letters which contain no errors will develop errors in the
mail.  Corresponding errors will show up in the duplicate while the
Boss is reading it.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:43:33 +0100

> creating such attributes, but maybe one of you can prove me wrong.

There has been some work on using SLP to adveritse and discover
automount table entries.  I can get you in contact with those 
involved if you would like.  

Erik