Subject: [dhcwg] Re: dhcwg digest, Vol 1 #410 - 2 msgs

From: Eric Scanner Luce <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:35:54 -0800

>>>>> "bh" == dhcwg-request  <[email-masked]>
>>>>> wrote the following on Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:00:02 -0500
    bh> 5.  altitude should be able to be specified to near-orbital
    bh> precision in 30 bits, but I wonder if latitude, longitude and
    bh> altitude is the best measure if devices are much above
    bh> passenger aviation levels?  Again, I'm not sufficiently
    bh> conversant in the technology of location to know even what
    bh> system is used for, say, the lunar lander or a mars probe, let
    bh> alone what is sufficient precision, but it seems appropriate
    bh> to ask.

While I do not think this is reasonable for a lunar lander or things that
far out the amateur sattelite organization has shown that you can get
GPS lock out beyond geo-sync orbit. We should at least include such
altitudes -- although at this time a dhcp client on a satellite seems
a bit far fetched we have seen stranger things come to pass.

-- Scanner       ([email-masked])
   Nominum, Inc. | www.nominum.com | +1.650.779.6035
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg