Subject: RE: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-packetcable-04.txt

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:41:40 -0700

OK, let's see how such coordination works with a real example:
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-suboptions-kdc-serveradd
ress-02.txt>.

This draft defines a single new CCC sub-option for use in so-called
"CableHome" devices. It was separated from the CCC option draft due to the
timing of the CCC WG last-call, etc.

This draft isn't perfect -- e.g. its IANA considerations section is awaiting
what happens to the CCC option draft -- but it is pretty close to what
CableLabs would be expecting. There has been no complaints about the review
schedule of this draft so far, because cable folks realize that the CCC
option draft needs to be approved first.

If the CCC draft were to be approved in January, how long would it take to
get this new draft approved?

-- Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 10:21 AM
To: Thomas Narten
Cc: Woundy, Richard; 'Paul Duffy'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] draft-ietf-dhc-packetcable-04.txt

As a way of getting more timely coordination between CableLabs and the 
IETF, would it be possible to involve the IETF earlier in the process of 
developing an option?  That is, as soon as CableLabs identifies the need 
for a new sub-option, publish an Internet-Draft describing that sub-option 
and bring it to the IETF/DHCWG.  Development can take place in parallel - 
Internet-Drafts are cheap - so that the WG has a chance to review the new 
option and can be prepared to bring it to last call as soon as the 
CableLabs change control process has the new specs in place.

- Ralph

At 10:56 AM 12/21/2002 -0500, Thomas Narten wrote:
> > I wish there was a way to balance IETF's needs to review new
> > suboptions, and CableLabs needs to define new suboptions in a timely
> > fashion.
>
>I agree. I am still under the assumption that this is achievable.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg