Subject: [dhcwg] rfc2131 and releasing leases

From: Thamer Al-Harbash <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 08:55:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I understand under rfc2131 that there is no way to acknowledge a
release from a DHCP client. Are there any extensions, or any plans
on incorporating a release acknowledgement?

Problem:

Client sends DHCP release. Client shuts down.

Server doesn't get the release datagram because it was dropped
before it reached the Server. The server holds onto the lease.

How is this scenario avoided by the server if no acknowledgement is
ever sent to the client? The problem becomes worse when the client
machine reboots to another OS and tries to acquire the same lease
with a different client-id.

-- 
Thamer Al-Harbash            http://www.whitefang.com/
          team dresch made me do it

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg