Subject: [dhcwg] dhcp : expected behaviour of clients when server is down ?

From: peter pilsl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:23:17 +0200

I run a dhcp-server with loads of fixed adresses in the conf. The default-lease
is 600 and the  max-lease is 7200.

dhcp works well, but there are two strange things happening:

i) for none of the clients with a fixed adress there is an entry in 
dhcp.leases

ii) if the server is down for maintainance the client will not remember its 
old adress,  but simply dont have an ip-address any more (win2k-clients)

Especially the second point is very irritating to me. Imho the client 
should remember its old adress but maybe this is a limitation in the 
protocol. 

Is there an easy possibility for a backup-dhcpd if the main-dhcpd is down ?
If I need to take off the server for 10 minutes, all my clients do not have
networkaccess for the same time ? 

thnx,
peter

-- 
IT-Consulting
mag. peter  pilsl
tel:+43-699-1-3574035
fax:+43-699-4-3574035
[email-masked]
http://www.goldfisch.at

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg