Subject: [dhcwg] Accept <draft-vijay-dhc-opt-extrboot-00.txt> as WG work item?

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:37:25 -0500

We have a request to accept draft-vijay-dhc-opt-extrboot-00.txt as a WG
action item.  Here is the Abstract and the Introduction:

Abstract

    Single TFTP server for huge number of diskless clients is prone
    to single point of failure.  So, Multiple TFTP servers are needed for
    high availability.  Moreover, some of the clients need multiple
    bootfiles for boot up.  This document provides a new DHCPv4 option
    for clients to obtain information about multiple TFTP servers and
    bootfiles.

1. Introduction

    DHCPv4 (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Version for IPv4)
    provides a framework for passing configuration information to hosts
    on an IPv4 network.  However, DHCPv4 does not provide a way to send
    more than one TFTP server address and bootfile names.  This document
    defines a new option to provide more than one TFTP server and
    bootfile names.  This option is required for clients, which are
    booting over a network and require more than one file to be
    downloaded and executed.  The multiple TFTP servers are needed for
    high availability.  Network booting is widely used mechanism for
    booting up of the clients, because of their advantages; softwares
    will be in central server and requires maintenance at only one
    location rather than maintaining individual systems separately.
    Also, switching between different operating systems becomes easy when
    network booting is being used.  The additional boot files may be used
    as supporting software for the boot image.  Different Operating
    System vendors use different way of handling this.

Please respond to [email-masked] by 1/6/2004 with comments about this I-D
and whether the dhc WG should accept this I-D as a WG work item.  If there
are no objections, the default action will be for the dhc WG to accept the
I-D as a WG work item.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg