Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Option 60 VCI

From: "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:43:04 -0700

You don't really mention in what way you want to separate your devices.  The
cable modems are easily identifiable since they are following the DOCSIS
specifications, and DOCSIS mandates that option 60 must be of a certain
form.  As far as I know there is no general requirement.  From a DHCP
standpoint there is no requirement that option 60 is sent at all.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jake Howerton [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 1:30 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [dhcwg] Option 60 VCI
> 
> 
> Do all clients transmit option 60?  I am trying to separate 
> devices on my
> network and am looking to find out if linksys and other 
> consumer routers
> transmit option 60 as well as consumer and enterprise Aps 
> like the Orinoco
> AP1000.  I have my cable modems working with this method.  If 
> there are any
> other effective ways to do this, suggestions are appreciated.

---

From: Jake Howerton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:04:27 -0400

Andre,

I am not having trouble seperating the cable modems since as you say they
are DOCSIS compatible and are sending option 60.  I was looking to put
wireless Aps and consumer routers onto separate subnets also.  This would
allow me to protect the Aps somewhat.  And would allow me to ban the use of
wireless routers putting holes in my network.  For the Aps I can enter the
MACs manually into separate pools, but the person who setup the network is
long gone.  And we have almost 1000 access points.  So I was looking for the
easy way out.    I have not figured out how to identify the consumer
wireless routers though.

Jake Howerton

On 4/27/04 6:43 PM, "Kostur, Andre" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> specifications, and DOCSIS mandates that option 60 must be of a certain form.
> As far as I know there is no general requirement.  From a DHCP standpoint
> there is no requirement that option 60 is sent at all.
>