Subject: [dhcwg] dhc WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-vendor-01

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 07:31:00 -0500

This message announces a WG last call on "Vendor-Identifying Vendor Options
for DHCPv4" <draft-ietf-dhc-vendor-01>.  The last call will conclude at 5PM
on 4/16/04.

Please respond to this WG last call.  If you support acceptance of the
document without change, respond with a simple acknowledgment, so that
support for the document can be assessed.

Summary: The DHCP options for Vendor Class and Vendor-Specific Information
can be ambiguous when a DHCP client represents multiple vendors.
draft-ietf-dhc-vendor-01 defines two new options, modeled on the IPv6
options for vendor class and vendor-specific information, which contain
Enterprise Numbers to remove ambiguity..  This draft is available as
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-vendor-01.txt

- Ralph Droms 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 08:30:51 -0400

This specification provides a useful extension to the vendor class and
vendor specific options capabilities in DHCP.  The requirements for these
capabilities are based on experience with competing uses for the existing
vendor class and vendor specific options in DHCP deployments.

I agree with the decision to define these two capabilities as separate
options for simplicity and to minimize the requirement for RFC 3396 option
concatenation.  While the current DHCP option code space is nearing
exhaustion, draft-ietf-dhc-reclassify-options (currently in WG last call)
will increase the available option codes, reducing the need for option code
conservation.

The specification should separate the references into Normative and
Informative, and should be updated to include the boilerplate from RFC 3667.

Note to draft authors using xml2rfc: you can include the appropriate
boilerplate in your docs by moving to version 1.22 and setting the ipr tag
to "full3667".

- Ralph