Subject: [dhcwg] Revised charter (final)

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:49:58 -0400

Here is a final charter for the WG, based on discussion at the WG meeting in
Seoul and discussion on the mailing list.  I will submit this charter to the
IESG for review.

- Ralph

dhc WG final revised charter
----------------------------

The dhc working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP for automated
allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP
protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently a "Draft Standard" and
is documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132.  DHCPv6 is currently a
"Proposed Standard" and is documented in RFC 3315.  Subsequent RFCs
document additional options and other enhancements to the
specifications.

The DHC WG is responsible for reviewing (and sometimes developing)
DHCP options or other extensions (for both IPv4 and IPv6). The DHC WG
is expected to review all proposed extensions to DHCP to ensure that
they are consistent with the DHCP specification and other option
formats, that they do not duplicate existing mechanisms, etc. The DHC
WG will not (generally) be responsible for evaluating the semantic
content of proposed options. The DHC WG will not adopt new proposals
for extensions to DHCP as working group documents without first
coordinating with other relevant working groups and determining who
has the responsibility for reviewing the semantic content of an
option.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

* Address security in DHCP

   o Develop and document security requirements for DHCP. RFC 3118
     defines current security mechanisms for DHCPv4. Unfortunately,
     RFC 3118 has neither been implemented nor deployed to date.
     Specific issues to be considered include:

     - Improved key management and scalability

     - Security for messages passed between relay agents and servers

     - Threats of DoS attacks through DHCPFORCERENEW

     - The increased usage of DHC on unsecured (e.g., wireless) and
       public LANs

     - The need for clients to be able to authenticate servers, without
       simultaneously requiring client authentication by the server.

   o Develop and document a roadmap of any new documents or protocols
     needed to meet the security requirements for DHCP

* Write an analysis of the DHCP specification, including RFC 2131,
   RFC 2132 and other RFCs defining additional options, which
   identifies ambiguities, contradictory specifications and other
   obstacles to development of interoperable implementations. Recommend
   a process for resolving identified problems and incorporating the
   resolutions into the DHCP specification.

* Assess the requirements for a dual-stack host to use DHCP to obtain
   configuration settings for both IPv4 and IPv6, review alternative
   solutions and select a solution, and develop, review and publish a
   document that defines the chosen solution.  Hosts that include
   implementations of both IPv4 and IPv6 ("dual-stack hosts") may use
   DHCP to obtain configuration settings (including assigned addresses)
   for both IPv4 and IPv6.  The DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications (RFC
   2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and subsequent RFCs) do not explicitly
   explain how a dual-stack host uses DHCP to obtain configuration
   settings for both IP stacks.

* Assess the requirements for informing DHCPv6 clients of changes in
   configuration information, review alternative solutions and select a
   solution, and develop, review and publish a specification for the
   chosen solution.  The DHCPv6 specification in RFC 3315 includes a
   mechanism through which clients can obtain other configuration
   information without obtaining an address or addresses.  This
   mechanisms is sometimes called "stateless DHCPv6" and is specified
   in RFC 3736.  RFC 3315 includes no provision for notifying DHCPv6
   clients using stateless DHCPv6 of changes in the configuration
   information supplied to the client or any recommendations as to when
   a client should obtain possibly updated information.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg