Subject: [dhcwg] Specifying what a DHCP server must implement for leasequery

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 20:49:08 -0400

Thomas Narten:

Discuss:

Make it absolutely clear what a server must implement (in terms of the
options it must store), especially in the case of options that already
exist, but that a server may not be required to store. E.g, what is
required for this spec that is different from normal DHC. relay agent
option, client identifier (??).

Specific comments:

 >       o Query by IP address:
 >
 >         For this query, the requester supplies only an IP address in the
 >         DHCPLEASEQUERY message.  The DHCP server will return any
 >         information that it has on the most recent client to have been
 >         assigned that IP address.

make clear what info must be echoed back, esp. relay agent option,
since there is no requirement in existing DHC that a server store
it...

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Kim Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:45:34 -0400

>option, client identifier (??).

        The client-identifier must already be stored, or you
        don't have much of a DHCP server.

        I thought that we'd made the options to store and return
        clear, but obviously it isn't absolutely clear or we
        wouldn't have this issue, so we need to make it
        more clear.