Subject: [dhcwg] DHCP-based Solutions in the "Analysis of IPv6 Tunnel End-point Discovery Mechamisms"

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:43:07 +0900

Hi all, I am not sure how may guys read below draft which was proposed
in the v6ops WG to analyze IPv6 TEP Discovery mechanism.

This draft cited one draft and wrote several drawbacks.
I already proposed this cited draft (03 version currently). 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daniel-dhc-ipv6in4-opt-03.txt
I'd like to reflect DHC's comments/feedbacks on the revision as 04. 
Please let me know your view on this.

===================

Subject:Analysis of IPv6 Tunnel End-point Discovery Mechamisms
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palet-v6ops-tun-auto-disc-01.txt

3.4  DHCP-based Solutions

   In most situations, the users receive the IPv4 information by means
   of an IPv4 DHCP server.  Consequently, one of the parameters to be
   provided by the DHCP server could be the tunnel end-point address,
   e.g., as described in [12].

   This approach has several drawbacks:

   o  It requires upgrading the DHCP client/server implementations to
      support this feature.

   o  It is restricted to the local ISP.  That is, it will not be
      effective if the local ISP doesn't provide this parameter.  This
      could be also be an advantage considering that the this would only
      support the tunnels provided by the local ISP, which would
      probably be of good quality.

   o  It will not work if DHCP client is not used.  DHCP is omitted
      especially in many dial-up scenarios, where only PPP is used; DHCP
      is not used in some (advanced) xDSL setups which use static
      routing.  Also, some managed networks do not use DHCP.  Still, in
      many cases, DHCP is used between a customer and the ISP.

   o  If a router is providing local DHCP information (e.g., an ADSL
      router), the tunnel end-point information would have to be
      automatically proxied to the "local DHCP", or manually configured
      on the router to propagate to the hosts in the case that the
      router is not activating the tunnel itself.

   o  It requires manual configuration/update of the ISP's DHCP servers
      when there are changes to the tunnel end-points, similar to
      updating DNS, NTP, etc.  servers.

- Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
- Mobile Platform Lab. Samsung Electronics.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg