Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 client implementation

From: Tina Strauf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:58:06 +0200

Hello,

I am sorry if this has come up before or should be clear from the 
RFC....
In a recent discussion an issue came up concerning dhcpv6-client 
behavior upon startup/initialisation. It was unclear whether or not the 
dhcpv6 client was allowed or even supposed to be doing anything with 
the previously via manual or stateless autoconfiguration configured 
addresses. While the RFC doesn't say, that something needs to be done 
with those addresses, it also doesn't specifically disallow it. IMHO it 
only makes sense that the dhcpv6 client should/must just leave those 
addresses alone and don't touch them at all (at least by default). 
After all there can be valid interests in using both DHCPv6 address 
configuration and manual/stateless (auto)configuration at the same time 
and for different address ranges. But there seem to be different 
opinions around to the point of just deleting any addresses not from 
the range the DHCPv6 server assigns addresses from.

Any comments ?

Tina Strauf

----
JOIN - IPv6 Reference Center      Tina Strauf
A WWU project                   Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet 
Muenster
http://www.join.uni-muenster.de Zentrum fuer Informationsverarbeitung
Team: [email-masked]      Roentgenstrasse 9-13
Priv: [email-masked]   D-48149 Muenster / Germany
GPG-/PGP-Key-ID: 923F61D0       Fon: +49 251 83 31833, Fax: +49 251 83 
31653

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert 
Einstein

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 07:23:17 -0400

The DHCPv6 client should NOT do anything to any stateful addresses or
manually configured addresses. If the DHCPv6 client didn't "add" an address
(via stateful / received from the DHCPv6 server in an IAADDR option), it
should leave it alone.

The various address assignment techniques (stateless, stateful, and manual)
can all operate at the same time - a client can have addresses from all
three techniques active at one time.

- Bernie

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Tina Strauf
> Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 4:58 AM
> To: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv6 client implementation
> 
> 
> Hello,
>

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:03:21 -0400

Tina - Operation of DHCPv6 is entirely independent of stateless address 
autoconfiguration (SLAAC) and manual address assignment, so the DHCPv6 
client should not make any changes to any addresses assigned through SLAAC 
or manual assignment.

RFC 2461 and RFC 2462 address the relationship between DHCPv6 and stateless 
address autoconfiguration.  In summary, SLAAC and the use of DHCPv6 are 
managed independently, and the protocol standards allow a host to use both 
SLAAC and DHCPv6 simultaneously.  I don't remember if the RFCs explicitly 
mention that both SLAAC and DHCPv6 are also independent of manual address 
assignment.

- Ralph

At 10:58 AM 9/9/2004 +0200, Tina Strauf wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am sorry if this has come up before or should be clear from the RFC....
>In a recent discussion an issue came up concerning dhcpv6-client behavior 
>upon startup/initialisation. It was unclear whether or not the dhcpv6 
>client was allowed or even supposed to be doing anything with the 
>previously via manual or stateless autoconfiguration configured addresses. 
>While the RFC doesn't say, that something needs to be done with those 
>addresses, it also doesn't specifically disallow it. IMHO it only makes 
>sense that the dhcpv6 client should/must just leave those addresses alone 
>and don't touch them at all (at least by default). After all there can be 
>valid interests in using both DHCPv6 address configuration and 
>manual/stateless (auto)configuration at the same time and for different 
>address ranges. But there seem to be different opinions around to the 
>point of just deleting any addresses not from the range the DHCPv6 server 
>assigns addresses from.
>
>Any comments ?
>
>Tina Strauf
>
>----
>A WWU project                   Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster
>GPG-/PGP-Key-ID: 923F61D0       Fon: +49 251 83 31833, Fax: +49 251 83 31653
>
>"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
>
>

---

From: Tina Strauf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:25:15 +0200

Bernie, Ralph,

thanks for clearing that up. That was exactly my understanding.

Tina