Subject: [dhcwg] How a server should gives config to a client in DHCPv6

From: "fer g.r." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:18:26 +0200

Hello every body.

I have a serious doubt about the way a server should chooses the 
configuration it gives to clients in DHCPv6.

Form 1

All the servers I have seen, selects the configuration it gives to a client 
attending to the local interface where the server receives the client 
request.

Example of server config file

iface eth0
{
class
{
pool 2000::100-2000::10f
}
}

This is: if a request from a client C arrives to the server via its 
interface of index 1, the client receives one type of config. info; and if 
that same request, of the same client C, would arrive to the server via any 
other different interface (i.e. 2) then the same client would receive other 
different config. Info.

In other words, the sever has a configuration to give to any petition 
received in each particular interface and the configuration and addresses a 
client gets depends in what server interface its message arrives in the 
server.

Form 2

Telling the server in its configuration what nets it is to administer 
(Prefix of the IP that represents a link), and the addresses it offers for 
each one.

Example of server config file

Link fe800::/64
{
	Pool 3ffe:501:ffff:0::1 to 3ffe:501:ffff:0::10/64;
}

So, when the server receives a client request, it takes the client’s address 
and compares its interface prefix with all the links it is to administer. It 
a match occurs, the server gives configuration (reserved to that link) to 
the client. I think this is the correct way to administrate nets and select 
which clients it can give config and which not, this is, which nets it must 
administrate and which not.

I think that a point to this is at   RFC3315  point 20.1.1.

“This address will be used by the server to determine the link from which 
the client should be assigned an address and other configuration 
information.”

What do you think ??

Tanks, bye.

_________________________________________________________________
La información más fresca desde diferentes puntos de vista en la Revista de 
Prensa de MSN. http://es.newsbot.msn.com/

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg