Subject: RE: [dhcwg] dhcpv6 source address selection policy option

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:55:49 -0000

On 10 November 2004 11:17, [email-masked]
(mailto:[email-masked]) wrote:

> Source Address Selection Policy option for DHCPv6
>    <draft-hirotaka-dhc-source-address-selection-opt>

> When one upstream link goes down, dynamic changes to the user network
> will occur. The changes could be revoking address prefix assigned from
> the failed link, and at that case, the policy bound to that assigned
> prefix would be also revoked. This change is caused by the revocation
> of that address prefix, and not caused by other trigger.

I wasn't at the dhc meeting so apologies in advance if this was already
discussed there. But doesn't the above statement regarding the need to
revoke address assignments based upon dynamic changes in the upstream
connectivity suggest that RA is more appropriate than DHCP as a
mechanism substrate here?

-- Mat

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: (Tomohiro -INSTALLER-Fujisaki/藤崎 智宏) <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:46:28 +0900 (JST)

| > Source Address Selection Policy option for DHCPv6
 | >    <draft-hirotaka-dhc-source-address-selection-opt>
 | 
 | > When one upstream link goes down, dynamic changes to the user network
 | > will occur. The changes could be revoking address prefix assigned from
 | > the failed link, and at that case, the policy bound to that assigned
 | > prefix would be also revoked. This change is caused by the revocation
 | > of that address prefix, and not caused by other trigger.
 | 
 | I wasn't at the dhc meeting so apologies in advance if this was already
 | discussed there. But doesn't the above statement regarding the need to
 | revoke address assignments based upon dynamic changes in the upstream
 | connectivity suggest that RA is more appropriate than DHCP as a
 | mechanism substrate here?

I wrote an example behavior, and did not say the preference of RA nor
DHCP. I'm sorry for ambiguous statement.

--
Tomohiro Fujisaki, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation