Subject: Doubts in DHCP Relay Agent

From: Radha Rani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:17:10 +0530

Hi,

Please consider the following scenario

Consider a router with two Ethernet interfaces and one ATM/ADSL interface
two Ethernet interfaces are connected to different LANs. The ATM interface is 
connected to an ISP.
DHCP Relay Agent is running in the Router.

Now the scenario is like this. The DHCP messages from the DHCP client (LAN 
side) will be forwarded by the DHCP Relay agent to the DHCP Server running at 
ISP (WAN side).
1. Which address the DHCP Relay Agent will fill in giaddr field while 
forwarding the DHCP packets from DHCP Client to the DHCP Server?
2. On what basis the DHCP Server will assign the IP addresses to the LAN Users?
3. If the LAN is in 10.0.0.0 network, will the DHCP Server assigns private or 
global address?
4. If the address allocated by DHCP Server is a global address then is it 
necessary to add a host route in the router, where DHCP Relay agent is 
functioning? If the route is  added then how the route will be removed from the 
router when the lease expires? Because DHCP Relay Agent will not have the lease 
information.

Thank you in Advance
Radha