Subject: Re: Reconfigure-init message in DHCPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:17:34 +0530

>2) if the client contacts the server again, nothing breaks, though
 >  there is a performance penalty.  The client just gets the same info
 >  over again.
There could be a case where a client may be busy in the cycle of messages
of single server and not in a position to attend RECONFIG from other
servers, since a client has to complete REQUEST/RENEW ( as pointed by
Ralph) for each RECONFIG message, (or) is it possible for a client to send
REQUEST to some server while waiting for REPLY from other server.
(or)
Server should not send RECONFIG messages to client who completed
REQUEST/REPLY for the same reconfig ( this is more an implementation issue)

>3) if this was a real concern, the client can retain state (even after
>   contacting the server) that keeps track of the last transaction ID,
>   in which case it would recognize the retransmission and ignore
>   it.
This is the case if there is a mechanism ensured from server side that a
client gets the same transacion id for each re-transmitted RECONFIG
message, otherwise a client can discard duplicated messages only.

Thanks and Regards
Suresh