Subject: Changes to mailing lists

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:24:50 -0400

I'm about to move the DHC WG mailing lists to the IETF mailing list 
service.  This transition gives us a chance to think about the organization 
of the mailing lists.

Why make a change?  Well, there's some duplication of e-mail and (at least 
recently) not a lot of traffic on either list.  For example, I send WG 
meeting announcements, minutes, (this message!), etc. to both lists.

Here are three ways we could make the transition to the IETF mail service:

* Merge dhcp-v4 and dhcp-v6 into one list
* Create a dhcwg mailing list for all WG-related
   administrivia and technical conversation about DHCP
   RFCs and I-Ds, and a dhcpv6 mailing list focused on
   the DHCPv6 I-D
* Leave the lists unchanged

I'm bringing this issue to the mailing list to explore options and develop 
consensus about any changes to the mailing list as I move them to the IETF 
service.  Please post all follow up e-mail to the [email-masked] 
mailing *only*.

- Ralph

---

From: "Glenn Waters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:55:05 -0400

Thanks for the prompt Thomas.

I like having the two lists so that I can separate v4 issues from v6 issues.
I still subscribe to both lists but I filter them to separate mailboxes.

In the end I could live with one list if that makes Ralph's job easier.

Cheers, /gww

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Narten [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 3:52 PM
To: DHCPv4 discussion list
Cc: DHCPv4 discussion list
Subject: Re: Changes to mailing lists

> * Merge dhcp-v4 and dhcp-v6 into one list

Personally, I'd prefer a single list. I think there is value in having
all the folks interested in DHCP in one place. There have been times
when discussion on the v6  side of things could have used input from
those familiar  with DHCPv4, even if those folks weren't really
following the v6 work very closely.

> service.  Please post all follow up e-mail to the [email-masked] 

I hope that folks are sending Ralph private replies, because one of
the hardest things for a WG chair is making decisions when no one
responds to an explicit call for input.

Thomas

---

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:26:37 -0700

>* Merge dhcp-v4 and dhcp-v6 into one list

I'd vote for this. With the limited traffic each list gets, I can easily 
ignore topics I'm not interested in.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer
 * Chairman, IETF ZEROCONF
 * www.stuartcheshire.org