Subject: Question on Retransmission parameter option

From: Vijay Bhaskar A K <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:18:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, 
I have few comments abt Retransmission parameter option
~vijay

18.7. Retransmission parameter option

      0                   1                   2                   3
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |      OPTION_RETRANS_PARM      |           option-len          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                          option-data                          |
     |                      (option-len octets)                      |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

      option-code   OPTION_RETRANS_PARM (5)

      option-len    An unsigned integer giving the length of the data in
                    this option in octets.

      option-data   TBD - The details of the operational parameters to
                    be set in the client

	I think  option-data  can be like  parm-no (2 bytes)  folllowed by
	parm-value (4 bytes).  Thus, this looks like,
      
	0                   1                   2                   3
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |      OPTION_RETRANS_PARM      |           option-len          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |      parm-no (2 octets)       |     parm-value (4 octets)     |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+                               +
     |                                                               |
     +                               +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                               |      parm-no (2 octets)       |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                 parm-value (4 octets)                         |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

	parm-no   identifies  the   retransmission   parameter  number.  The
	parm-value gives the value of this parameter.

	For this, we need to index the retransmission variables table.

       _________________________________________________________________________
  No  |Parameter__________|Default|_Description______________________________|_
  01  |MIN_SOL_DELAY______|1______|_MIN_(secs)_to_delay_1st_mesg_____________|_
  02  |MAX_SOL_DELAY______|5______|_MAX_(secs)_to_delay_1st_mesg_____________|_
  03  |ADV_MSG_TIMEOUT____|500____|_SOL_Retrans_timer_(msecs)________________|_
  04  |ADV_MSG_MAX________|30_____|_MAX_timer_value_(secs)___________________|_
  05  |SOL_MAX_ATTEMPTS___|-1_____|_MAX_attempts_(-1_=_infinite)_____________|_
  06  |REP_MSG_TIMEOUT____|250____|_Retrans_timer_(msecs)_for_Reply__________|_
  07  |QRY_MSG_ATTEMPTS___|10_____|_MAX_Request/Confirm/Renew/Rebind_attempts|_
  08  |REL_MSG_ATTEMPTS___|5______|_MAX_Release/Decline_attempts_____________|_
  09  |RECREP_MSG_TIMEOUT_|2000___|_Retrans_timer_(msecs)____________________|_
  10  |REC_MSG_ATTEMPTS___|10_____|_Reconfigure_attempts_____________________|_
  11  |REC_THRESHOLD______|100____|_%_of_required_clients____________________|_
  12  |SRVR_PREF_WAIT_____|2______|_Advertise_Collect_timer_(secs)___________|_

The specs from 13.3.1 says that,

   The Client  includes a DUID option to identify  itself to the server.
   The client MUST  include  options  for any IAs to which the client is
   expecting  to have the server  assign  addresses.  Because the client
   does not have any IAs with addresses when sending a Solicit  message,
   all of the IAs MUST be  empty.  The  client  MAY  include  an  Option
   Request  Option in the Solicit  message.  The client MUST NOT include
   any other  options  except those  specifically  allowed as defined by
   specific options.

	I feel  that,  this  specs  should be  changed.  The  Retransmission
	parameter  option MAY occur in SOLICIT  message.  Assume, the client
	is  not  configured  with  some   retransmission   parameters   like
	MAX-Reply-attempts,  then, this has to be obatained  from the server
	before sending request.

	* What will  happen, if the client is not  configured  with  default
	values  related  to   SOLICIT/ADVERTISE   message  transaction  like
	SOL-max-attempts,  what it has to do?  will it assumes  the  default
	value?

-- 
____Vijay_Bhaskar_A_K____
______Inet_Services______
________HP_ISO___________
____Ph:_2251554_1424_____
___Pager:_9624_371137____