Subject: 18.10, Server Unicast Option

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:28:30 -0500

After a few private exchanges with Ted, while there are still many
open issues with the client unicasting to the server (such as how
the server replies), how about we:

- At a minimum, remove Confirm from the list of messages in Section
18.10. It does not belong because it is NOT directed to a single
server but instead to ANY server. (See section 14.3.2, "The client
sets the "server-address" field to 0.) The other messages (Request,
Renew, Release, and Decline) are all directed to a single server.

- At a maximum, remove this section (option) altogether for now - it
can always be added as a feature in a later revision (new option).
This means we don't have to figure out how a server returns a reply
to a unicast message. (Though it may tie in closely to what I've
suggested as a clarificaton to Section 15.2.1 on unicasting
Reconfigure-inits.)

> Bernie Volz
> Chief Technical Officer - DNS & DHCP Development Unit
> Ericsson, Inc.
> Tel: +1-508-875-3162
> Fax: +1-508-875-3018
> Mobile: +1-617-513-9060
> mailto:[email-masked]
> 
>

---

From: Jim Bound <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:32:36 -0400 (EDT)

We must have capability to do unicast.  I think removing that is not an
option.  It is a performance enhancement to a significant degree to not
use relays.

/jim