Subject: Re: DHCPNACK for DHCPv6 [Proposed Draft Changes]

From: Droms Ralph <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:30:34 -0400

In the middle of writing my previous message, I had the following thought: 
suppose the link has been renumbered - the addresses in the IA will be 
invalid although the client has remained connected to the same link...

- Ralph

At 10:01 AM 7/18/2001 -0500, Bernie Volz (EUD) wrote:

>3) Add to Section 14.3.5. (Receipt of Reply message in response
>    to a Request, Confirm, Renew or Rebind message):
>
>    When the client receives a NoPrefixMatch error status in the IA status
>    field of a Reply to a Confirm message, the client MUST make a
>    determination as to whether it has moved to a different link.  If the
>    client is unable to make such a determination it MUST assume that it
>    has moved to a new link.  In this case the client MAY discard the IA
>    that received the NoPrefixMatch status, or may retain it as long as
>    the addresses in the IA continue to be valid.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:36:41 -0700

> invalid although the client has remained connected to the same link...

Good point.   I think the language you just suggested accounts for
this, though.

			       _MelloN_