Subject: Re[2]: [dhcwg] Lease database storage in DHCPv6

From: Artur Guja <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:43:13 +0100

Hello steve,

Monday, October 29, 2001, 5:11:28 PM, you wrote:

s> In dhcp v4, there is no standard way for a server to reconfigure
s> a client. The protocol is designed so that it is always the client
s> who has to obtain or renew the lease.
s> Mind you , there has been some proposals to do this, but
s> AFAIK no RFC.

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough (just assumes people would
associate this mail with my previous portings) :)))

My work, in fact my university diploma, is about DHCPv6, which
has reconfiguration defined in the drafts.

As to other limitations, I'm a bit concerned about the peak network
load right after the server restart, due to all clients reconfiguring.
Maybe there should be a random wait defined, just as for SOLICIT, to
desynchronise the clients.

This issue, however, pertains only to servers based on thin embedded
systems, working with flash or similar stroage, where frequent writing
is out of the question, either due to hardware or performance
limitations.

Artur Guja

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 06:05:55 -0500

BTW, draft-ietf-dhc-pv4-reconfigure-06.txt has been accepted as
a draft standard, and will be published as an RFC soon.

- Ralph

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:59:50 -0500

> a draft standard, and will be published as an RFC soon.

Just to be clear, I don't think you didn't mean "Draft Standard" in
the formal IETF sense. The document has been approved by the IESG as a
Proposed Standard.

Thomas

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:04:39 -0500

Sorry - I mis-typed.  It will be a Proposed Standard...

- Ralph