Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Rev of DHCPv6 spec

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:18:14 +0530

I would like to get clarification on when does a server send an unicast
option,
1. does the server send unicast option  whenever the client is on the same
link (20.11 is not clear about it) (or)
2. Is it an administrative policy that decides if the client can
unicast/multicast of messages. If it is so, is there any example of the
scenario where the server would not specify the option despite being on the
same link.
3. why is the client required to check if the client and server are on the
same link if  unicast option is already obtained from the server ( 16.1.1 )

And also,
 Is it not sufficient to have both client and server to be on the same link
to unicast client's message ?, if so what is the server response to
client's unicast if it didn't send unicast option to the client and still
gets messages unicast'ed to it.
-suresh

Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> on 10/11/2001 07:31:31 AM

Please respond to Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Suresh Kodati/India/IBM)
Subject:  [dhcwg] Rev of DHCPv6 spec

I've finished another rev of the DHCPv6 spec (-20d), which is available at
http://www.dhcp.org/dhcpv6.tty  I plan to submit this draft of the spec to
the IETF for publication on 10/12.  The list of issues addressed by this
draft is included below; these issues were discussed at the DHC WG meeting
in London (8/2001).  The -20d draft does not include any changes related to
IAs.  The changes related to IAs will appear in the next published rev of
the draft.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 06:06:08 -0400

1./2. the unicast option is an administrative policy;

3. I don't see any text in 16.1.1 that requires the
client to check that the server is on the same link

In response to your last question, the use of unicast
isn't dependent on whether the client and server
are on the same link.  A client could use unicast to
deliver DHCP messages to an off-link router.

The draft doesn't specify how a server should react
to a unicast message received from a client to which the
server has not sent a unicast option.  I imagine the
right thing to do is to allow the server to process
such messages.

- Ralph