Subject: [dhcwg] I-D ACTION:draft-bakke-dhc-snmp-trap-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 07:56:30 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DHCP Option for SNMP Notifications
	Author(s)	: M. Bakke
	Filename	: draft-bakke-dhc-snmp-trap-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 2002-9-11
	
The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol [RFC1531] provides a method
for a host to retrieve common configuration parameters at boot time.
These include the host's IP address, default gateway, subnet mask,
DNS server, and other useful things.
When a host is booted from the network, it does not have access to
these configuration parameters from its local or network disk right
away; it relies instead on DHCP to provide them.  One such parameter
that is not yet provided is a list of IP hosts to which to send SNMP
notifications [RFC1448] during the boot process, particularly if the
boot fails.  As the host is already gleaning similar information from
DHCP, a new option to specify these SNMP 'trap' hosts appears to be
the simplest method to gain this information.  Hosts not booting from
the network benefit as well, since SNMP notification hosts can now be
configured centrally through DHCP.
This document describes a proposed DHCP option that specifies a list
of SNMP notification hosts to which SNMP notifications should be
sent.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bakke-dhc-snmp-trap-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-bakke-dhc-snmp-trap-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bakke-dhc-snmp-trap-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.