Subject: RE: [dhcwg] RE: draft-bakke-dhc-snmp-trap-00.txt

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:44:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
> To: Mark Bakke <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>,
>         "snmpv3@lists. tislabs. com (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>,
>         [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [dhcwg] RE: draft-bakke-dhc-snmp-trap-00.txt
> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:16:07 +0200
...
> > > First question would be: is it a generic problem that people face?
> > Yes.  There are increasingly more solutions that allow hosts,
> > racks of servers, embedded devices, etc. to be booted from
> > the network.  When this fails, the host's normal configuration
> > info (particularly the SNMP notification list) is not available,
> > so there's no good way to tell a management station about it.
> > 
> > I assume that most networks would want to use SNMP for this,
> > but syslog would work as well.
> > 
> 
> Mark's answer is just one answer that seem to support a YES answer
> Any others?
...

There has been some other work in the area of getting out
notifications of "pre-OS" systems, e.g.,
http://www.dmtf.org/standards/documents/ASF/DSP0114.pdf

However, this work does *not* address security, other than
to discourage implementors from providing protocol-level
security and to instead rely on "deployment schemes and
firewalls" (!).

Could information delivered via DHCP be used to accomplish a
"kick start" of the secrets, similar to that in RFC 2786?

 ------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn          BMC Software, Inc.  SJC-1.3141
 [email-masked]  2141 North First Street
 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San José, California 95131  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 ------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Andrea Westerinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:55:16 -0700

An updated version of ASF (2.0) is currently in DMTF company review that
"adds security protocols to RMCP messages."  So, the message below is not
totally correct.  This version of the spec will be available shortly after
company review ends (Oct 15th).

Andrea

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Randy Presuhn
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 11:45 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] RE: draft-bakke-dhc-snmp-trap-00.txt

Hi -

> Message-ID:
<[email-masked]>
...
...

 Tel: +1 408 546-1006   San Josi, California 95131  USA

---

From: "Andrea Westerinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:55:16 -0700

Andrea

-----Original Message-----

Hi -

...
...