Subject: RE: [dhcwg] RE: draft-bakke-dhc-snmp-trap-00.txt

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:16:07 +0200

Mark, thanks for the details.

Now... I have seen some discussion as to possible issues and
such (I guess I am to blame for some of that).

What I have not yet seen is any supportive statements from
people that they indeed need this functionality. Best would
be if operators of course tell us they need it. But in 
general, we'd like to hear statements about the need for
this functionality. So an answer to this question:

> > First question would be: is it a generic problem that people face?
> Yes.  There are increasingly more solutions that allow hosts,
> racks of servers, embedded devices, etc. to be booted from
> the network.  When this fails, the host's normal configuration
> info (particularly the SNMP notification list) is not available,
> so there's no good way to tell a management station about it.
> 
> I assume that most networks would want to use SNMP for this,
> but syslog would work as well.
> 

Mark's answer is just one answer that seem to support a YES answer
Any others?

Thanks,
Bert 
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg