Subject: Re: [dhcwg] questions about dhcpv6-28

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 18:25:26 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:23:07 -0500, 
>>>>> Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> said:

>> Actually, Section 15.6 *seems to* address the case.  It says:

(snip)

>> However, there should be a wording problem.  I guess the sentence
>> actually intended to be:
>> 
>> Servers MUST discard any received Renew message that fails to meet
>> ^^^^^^^^
>> any of the following conditions:

> Excellent point; thanks for catching that goof.

> While this check is defined in section 15.6, would it be helpful
> to add a reference in section 18.1.3 explaining the reason for
> that constraint?

Hmm, I'm not sure if this case is that special, but the explanation
itself would surely be helpful.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:20:15 -0500

At 03:32 PM 1/26/2003 +0900, JINMEI Tatuya / 
=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= wrote:
> >>>>> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:22:07 +0900,
> >>>>> JINMEI Tatuya <[email-masked]> said:
>
> >> 1. Section 18.1.8 says:
>
> >> When the client receives a NoBinding status in an IA from the server
> >> in response to a Renew message or a Rebind message, the client sends
> >> a Request to reestablish an IA with the server.
>
> >> does this imply that the client must remove the IA before sending the
> >> request?  (I guess the answer is YES, but I'm asking this to be sure.)
>
>BV> No. As long as the address has a valid lifetime left, the client
>BV> should be able to use that address. NoBinding just means that the
>BV> server has no record of that binding (perhaps it is a new server
>BV> or a server that losts its stable storage). While this situation
>BV> is not desireable, it is possible and should work out OK.
>
> > I see.  Then I have a related question.  Does the client continue or
> > stop sending Renew or Rebind in this case?
>
>I may have been asking too many things at one time, but I did not get
>an answer to this.  Could anyone clarify this?

The client sends a request with the IA.  The server will record the IA and 
return it to the client with assigned addresses.

- Ralph

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 00:05:21 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:20:15 -0500, 

> return it to the client with assigned addresses.

I know, but my question is if the client should continue to send
Renew/Rebind *as well as sending a Request*.

					JINMEI, Tatuya

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:08:28 -0500

Whoops, sorry for the misunderstanding.  No, the server doesn't send the 
Renew/Rebind - only the Request.

- Ralph

At 12:05 AM 2/6/2003 +0900, JINMEI Tatuya /

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 01:51:36 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:08:28 -0500, 

> Renew/Rebind - only the Request.

Okay, that makes sense.  Perhaps this is too trivial for others, but
it would be helpful if the text is clearer:

   When the client receives a NoBinding status in an IA from the server
   in response to a Renew message or a Rebind message, the client
   stops sending Renew or Rebind messages but sends a Request to
   reestablish an IA with the server.
(Section 18.1.8.)

I have one more question on this scenario.  In this case, the client
would send a Request with an IA containing the currently available
addresses.  For the server, this is just a hint to (re)establish the
IA.  So, the server may assign a different address for the IA, and
send a Reply with the (different) address.  What should the client do
about the old address?  If the client continues to use the old one, it
means the client uses an address that is not in the server's binding
(though the old address may be invalidated at the next Renew/Reply
exchange or when the lifetime expires).  Is this situation okay?

					JINMEI, Tatuya