Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Re: WG last call on <draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-04.txt > (Reminder!)

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:56:06 -0600

Yes, this is a good point and something we should make clear in all
future options drafts. Minor changes to the Abstract and Introduction
should fix this.

     Abstract

        This document describes the DHCP option to allow iSNS clients using
        DHCP[ for IPv4] to automatically discover the location of the iSNS server. iSNS
        ...

     1.       Introduction

        The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol [for IPv4 | [DHCP]] provides a framework for
        passing configuration information to hosts. 
 
However, anyone attempting to implement this for DHCPv6 or studying this
carefully would notice:
- No reference to the DHCPv6 specification (there is to the DHCPv4 spec)
- Option numbers and lengths are only 8 bits (not the 16 of DHCPv6)

I support this draft (even without the above changes).

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Franco Travostino [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 2:05 PM
To: Ralph Droms; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] Re: WG last call on <draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-04.txt>
(Reminder!)

I support the draft.

An observation regarding IPv4 vs IPv6. Other DHCP documents make it clear 
that they are talking about IPv4 use (e.g., rfc 3361, ""Dynamic Host 
Configuration Protocol (DHCP-for-IPv4) Option for Session Initiation 
Protocol (SIP) Servers""). If there is an agreed-upon style for defining 
applicability, it should be used here as well.

-franco

At 01:23 PM 2/20/2003, Ralph Droms wrote:
>Reminder and note: there has been not response to this WG last 
>call.  Please review draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-04.txt and reply with 
>comments.  If you recommend the document for advancement without revision, 
>please respond with a quick acknowledgment.  No response will be 
>interpreted as a lack of support for advancing the document.
>
>-----
>
>This message announces a WG last call on "DHCP Options for Internet 
>Storage Name Service" <draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-04.txt>.  The last call 
>will conclude on Friday, 2/21.
>
>Note that this is a parallel WG last call in the dhc and ips WGs.
>
>draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-04.txt defines a new DHCP option for discovery 
>of the location and role of iSNS Protocol servers in iSCSI and iFCP 
>devices.  The draft is available at 
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-04.txt
>
>- Ralph Droms

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg