Subject: [dhcwg] Extending DHCP option codes

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:58:29 -0500

Bernie, Ted and I have written a draft, 
draft-volz-dhc-extended-optioncodes-00.txt, which describes two methods for 
extending the list of option codes available for assignment to DHCP 
options.  RFC2132 specifies that option codes 1-127 are available for 
assignment to DHCP options.  The option most recently accepted as a 
standard, in draft-ietf-dhc-packetcable-06.txt, will likely be assigned 
option code 122.

At the SF dhc WG meeting, we'll consider the requirements for extending the 
options codes and review the two methods described in 
draft-volz-dhc-extended-optioncodes-00.txt.  Please review the draft prior 
to the WG meeting and respond to the mailing list if you have any comments.

Note that some option codes < 122 (for example, 102-107) are currently 
available for assignment; see 
http://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters for details.  Also 
note that if all of the unused option codes listed in 
draft-ietf-dhc-unused-optioncodes-00.txt are returned to IANA, there will 
be approximately 25 options codes available for assignment to future DHCP 
option codes.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg