Subject: RE: [dhcwg] WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig- 01.txt

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:04:53 -0600

No, you don't need to include these in an ORO.

For options where it is explicitly stated these are used for client to
server communication (and also server to client), there is no need to
include them in the ORO. This includes IA_NA, IA_TA, and IA_PD.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 12:36 PM
To: Ralph Droms
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] WG last call on
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-01.txt

>>>>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:15:37 -0500, 
>>>>> Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> said:

> I think we already have definitive text in the DHCPv6 base spec, section 
> 17.1.1:

>     The client SHOULD include an Option Request option (see section 22.7)
>     to indicate the options the client is interested in receiving.  The
>     client MAY additionally include instances of those options that are
>     identified in the Option Request option with data values as hints
>     to the server about parameter values the client would like to have
>     returned.

> The phrase "additionally include instances of those options that are 
> identified in the Option Request option" specifically prohibits the 
> inclusion of an option if that option is not identified in the Option 
> Request option...

Hmm, does this also apply to IA or IA_PD options?  Section 17.1.1
explicitly says an IA option is included in Solicit (if the client
wants an address for the IA):

   The client includes IA options for any IAs to which
   it wants the server to assign addresses.

The prefix delegation draft even has a stronger sentence:

   The requesting router creates an IA_PD and assigns it an IAID.  The
   requesting router MUST include the IA_PD option in the Solicit
   message.
(Section 10.1 of draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-02.txt)

Is the client also required to include an option request option
specifying an IA or IA_PD option?

FYI: Our implementation does not include an Option request option for
IA_PD option, but I've never seen any interoperability issue with
regards to this behavior.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg