Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Stateless DHCPv6 service

From: "Peter Barany" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 15:53:04 -0500

Hi, 

A question: If a DHCPV6 client sends an Information-Request message
containing, for example, the DNS resolver option, SIP server option, and NTP
server option and the DHCPv6 server can only return 2 of the 3 configuration
options (due to policy reasons, administrative reasons, etc.), does the
DHCPv6 spec (and the stateless DHCPv6 spec) allow the DHCPv6 server to send
a Reply message with 2 of the 3? Or does it have to send a Reply with the
status code "UnspecFail"? If so, this means that the DHCPv6 client should
send 3 separate Information-Request messages? Thanks.

Regards,

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 6:41 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Stateless DHCPv6 service

Hi, Ralph!

This document looks good, I personally support starting wglc for it.

By the way, are you going to mention other options than DNS and Time
Configuration Options? I think this would also be useful:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-dhcpv6-01.txt

Best Regards,
	          -Juha W.-

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 06 April, 2003 16:07
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] Stateless DHCPv6 service

Now that the DHCPv6 base specification is at PS, and the DNS and time
configuration option specs have passed WG last call, I have published "A
Guide to Implementing Stateless DHCPv6 Service" as a dhc WG document,
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-00.txt.

This revision of the document has been reviewed by Pekka Savola and
Christian Huitema, and includes changes based on their input.  Based on the
interest in this specification, I would like to progress it quickly.  Unless
there are objections, I will start a WG last call for the specification in a
week or so.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz (EUD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 13:28:41 -0500

It can send a single Reply with the 2 options.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Barany [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 4:53 PM
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Stateless DHCPv6 service

Hi, 

A question: If a DHCPV6 client sends an Information-Request message containing, for example, the DNS resolver option, SIP server option, and NTP server option and the DHCPv6 server can only return 2 of the 3 configuration options (due to policy reasons, administrative reasons, etc.), does the DHCPv6 spec (and the stateless DHCPv6 spec) allow the DHCPv6 server to send a Reply message with 2 of the 3? Or does it have to send a Reply with the status code "UnspecFail"? If so, this means that the DHCPv6 client should send 3 separate Information-Request messages? Thanks.

Regards, 

Pete 

-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked] [ mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 6:41 AM 
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Stateless DHCPv6 service 

Hi, Ralph! 

By the way, are you going to mention other options than DNS and Time Configuration Options? I think this would also be useful:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-dhcpv6-01.txt <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-dhcpv6-01.txt>  

Best Regards, 
                  -Juha W.- 

-----Original Message----- 
From: ext Ralph Droms [ mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: 06 April, 2003 16:07 
To: [email-masked] 
Subject: [dhcwg] Stateless DHCPv6 service 

Now that the DHCPv6 base specification is at PS, and the DNS and time configuration option specs have passed WG last call, I have published "A Guide to Implementing Stateless DHCPv6 Service" as a dhc WG document, draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-00.txt.

This revision of the document has been reviewed by Pekka Savola and Christian Huitema, and includes changes based on their input.  Based on the interest in this specification, I would like to progress it quickly.  Unless there are objections, I will start a WG last call for the specification in a week or so.

- Ralph 

_______________________________________________ 
dhcwg mailing list 
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg>  
_______________________________________________ 
dhcwg mailing list 
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg>