Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3315 - Vendor Specific Information Option

From: "Vasu, Vallabhaneni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:02:15 -0600

The rfc says the following

This option is used by clients and servers to exchange
   vendor-specific information.

Does this mean the client can send this options as part of Solicit,
Request ....?

If  yes. How will server use this info ?

Thanks
Vasu Vallabhaneni

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:59:12 -0500

See appendix A in RFC 3315 - Vendor Specific option is allowed in all but
the Reconfigure message.

It is vendor specific how this would be processed by the server (and
client). A client might send a vendor-specific option with a specific
enterprise value and a "vendor-specific Option Request Option" in that
vendor-specific option. The server might then send back those requested
options encapsulated within the vendor-specific option.

Vendor specific options are no different than standard (publicly) assigned
options but instead of these options having to be defined through the IETF
process, the vendor can do it on its own. Clients and servers that wish to
support these options could then be developed. The option number space of
the encapsulated options (in the vendor-specific option) are up to the
vendor to manage. And, if they want server vendors to implement these
options, they should make the documentation on these options available.

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Vasu,
Vallabhaneni
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 12:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3315 - Vendor Specific Information Option

Thanks
Vasu Vallabhaneni