Subject: [dhcwg] ***DRAFT*** minutes from dhc WG meeting in Minneapolis

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 08:46:40 -0500

Included below are ***draft*** minutes from the WG meeting in 
Minneapolis.  Please review and respond with comments before 9AM EST, Fri 12/5.

- Ralph

=====

Administrivia                                      Ralph Droms
   Agenda bashing
   Current last calls: failover; DHCPv4 threat analysis; PXE options

New I-Ds to be considered by the dhc WG

   Droms reviewed 6 I-Ds that will be reviewed as WG work items; these
   I-Ds will be published after IETF 58 publication moratorium:

   DHCPv6 support for IPv6 Transition,
   <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-ipv6trans-00.txt>
   A.K. Vijayabhaskar, S. Daniel Park

   DHCP Discovery Extensions,
   <draft-rentschler-dhc-discovery-00.txt>
   Rentschler

   DHCP Interface Information Option,
   <draft-rentschler-dhc-interface-opt-00.txt>
   Markus Rentschler

   DHCP Option for Proxy Server Configuration,
   <draft-ietf-dhc-proxyserver-opt-00.txt>
   Senthil K Balasubramanian

   The Extended Remote Boot Option for DHCPv4,
   <draft-ietf-dhc-opt-extrboot-00.txt>
   A.K. Vijayabhaskar, B. Senthil Kumar

   DHCPv6 Support for Remote Boot,
   <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-rboot-00.txt>
   A.K. Vijayabhaskar, B. Senthil Kumar

Node-Specific Client Identifiers for DHCPv4        Ted Lemon
   <draft-ietf-dhc-3315id-for-v4-00.txt>

   This draft defines a new DHCPv4 client identifier modeled on the
   DHCPv6 DUID (see section 9 of RFC 3315).  The document requires a
   minor revision prior to WG last call.  The isssues in section 4.3,
   "Changes to RFC 2131", will require that this standard be published
   with the notation that it "updates RFC 2131".  The changes specified
   in this document will be folded into RFC 2131bis for Full Standard.

Rapid Reply Option for DHCPv4                      S. D. Park
   <draft-volz-dhc-rapidreply-opt-00.txt>

   This draft defines a "rapid reply" extension to DHCPv4 that provides
   the same function as "rapid commit" option in DHCPv6 (see section
   22.14) of RFC 3315. The draft was accepted as a WG work item.  The
   option will be renamed "rapid commit" to match the analgous option
   in DHCPv6. The authors will publish the draft as a dhc WG draft
   immediately after ID publication moratorium.

Vendor-Identifying Vendor Options for DHCPv4       Ralph Droms

   This draft defines two new options for DHCPv4 that are equivalent to
   the "Vendor Class" and "Vendor-specific Information" options in
   DHCPv6 (see section 22.16 and 22.17 of RFC 3315).  Ted Lemon noted a
   conflict between this draft RFC 3396, "Encoding Long Options in the
   Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCPv4)", because the new
   DHCPv4 options require independent processing of multiple copies of
   the options, while RFC 3396 requires that all instances of an option
   be concatenated before processing.  The conflict will be discussed
   on WG mailing list.  The draft will be ready for WG last call after
   the conflict is resolved and a revised draft published.  The revised
   draft will be published by 12/15/2003.

Client Identifier option in server replies         Ralph Droms
   <draft-swamy-dhc-client-id-00.txt>

   This document defines an update to RFC 2131 that requires a server
   to include the Client Identifier option in replies, if the client
   included the option in the message to the server.  The document was
   accepted as a WG workk item.  It will be reviewed immediately and
   any updates to RFC 2131 will be folded into RFC 2131bis for Full
   Standard.  The authros will publish the document as a dhc WG draft
   immediately after ID publication moratorium.

Extending DHCP Options Codes                       Ralph Droms
   <draft-ietf-dhc-extended-optioncodes-00.txt>

   The WG reviewed the four alternatives for the identification of
   additional option codes for DHCPv4 presented in this document, and
   decided to pursue the following two alternatives as independent
   drafts:

   (1) redesignate option codes 128-223 to be assigned to new options
   (2) recover disused option codes (the "Impress Server" option being
       the canonical example) for reassignment to new options

   The authors will republish this document as two separate drafts.

Implementation Issues with RFC 2131                Ralph Droms
   <draft-ietf-dhc-implementation-01.txt>

   The WG was in general consensus that this document is close to
   completion.  Several specific details will be discussed on the WG
   mailing list.  There was interest in scheduling one or more
   conference call or a workshop to complete work on the document.
   There will be additional discussion of what to do with the document;
   alternatives include:

   (1) Publish current draft as Informational to stimulate discussion
       of implementation issues
   (2) Conduct additional mailing list discussion, conference calls
       and/or workshops before publication
   (3) Fold results into RFC 2131bis before publication of RFC 2131bis
       as Standard.

DHCPv4 Threat Analysis                             Mimi Zohar
   <draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-00.txt>

   The authors will publish another revision of this document, which
   will then be ready for WG last call.  The WG will continue to
   solicit proposals for RFC 3118-compliant protocols that address
   problems identified in this doc.

Platform integrity measurements                    Mimi Zohar

   The dhc WG will consult with other appropriate WGs to determine the
   semantics of the option, and the dhc WG will approve the final
   syntax.

Discussion of DHCP authentication

   (Happened as suffix to discussion of
   draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-00.txt.)

Configuration of dual-stack hosts with DHCP        Ralph Droms

   The WG developed an initial list of potential issues in dual-stack
   hosts using DHCP (DHCPv4 and/or DHCPv6).  Tim Chown volunteered to
   write up these issues and gather more from discussion on the dhc WG
   mailing list.  ID to be published by 12/15/2003.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg