Subject: Re: [dhcwg] IPv6 Interface Identifiers.

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 09:48:35 -0500

At 01:41 PM 12/3/2004 +0800, Achint Setia wrote:

>I had this general doubt while reading the DHCPv6 RFC (3315).
>
>When the addresses are assigned by a DHCPv6 server, the interface 
>identifier will correspond to the one chosen
>by the server from within its scope. This can be any number depending on 
>how the scopes are defined at the server.
>Doesn t this contradict RFC 2373, which clearly states that the 64 bit 
>Interface Identifier should be in EUI -64 format ?
>Or does that mean the server needs to CONVERT the interface id, it has 
>chosen, into the EUI-64 format before assigning it
>to the client?

At the end of section 11 of RFC 3315, there is a paragraph that refers to
section 2.5.1 of RFC 2373 for guidance in setting the "u" (universal/local)
and "g" (individual/group) bits of the interface identifier for EUI-64
compatibility.

Note that although RFC 3315 refers to RFC 2373, RFC 3513 is the most current
specification of the IPv6 addressing architecture.

>Thanks,
>Achint Setia.

- Ralph Droms

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg