Subject: [dhcwg] IPv6 Interface Identifiers.

From: "Achint Setia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:41:22 +0800

I had this general doubt while reading the DHCPv6 RFC (3315).

When the addresses are assigned by a DHCPv6 server, the interface
identifier will correspond to the one chosen

by the server from within its scope. This can be any number depending on
how the scopes are defined at the server.

Doesn't this contradict RFC 2373, which clearly states that the 64 bit
Interface Identifier should be in EUI -64 format ?

Or does that mean the server needs to CONVERT the interface id, it has
chosen, into the EUI-64 format before assigning it

to the client?

Thanks,

Achint Setia.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:41:37 +0700

Date:        Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:41:22 +0800
    From:        "Achint Setia" <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | Doesn't this contradict RFC 2373, which clearly states that the 64 bit
  | Interface Identifier should be in EUI -64 format ?

Perhaps, though a DHCP server could certainly generate addresses
that look as if they contain EUI-64 formatted interface identifiers
if it wants to - but almost anything sensible contradicts much of
what is in that part of RFC2373 - simply ignore it, the part of
2373 that is pretending to tell people what they should (must) be
using bits for inside their addigned address space is simply nonsense.

Use addresses however you want to use them, all that matters is
that the address chosen results in packets being delivered to the
correct system.

kre

---

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:26:49 -0500

The DHCPv6 server can use the client's interface-identifier to addresses (by
extracting it from the appropriate place - either from the source address or
from the relay-agent's peer-address field if relayed). Or, the DHCPv6 server
can other techniques to generate addresses, such as random numbers, perhaps
using the RFC 3041 (or better yet,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-privacy-addrs-v2-01.txt)
.
 
- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Achint Setia
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 12:41 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] IPv6 Interface Identifiers.

When the addresses are assigned by a DHCPv6 server, the interface identifier
will correspond to the one chosen

by the server from within its scope. This can be any number depending on how
the scopes are defined at the server.

to the client?

Thanks,

Achint Setia.