Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv4 equivalent for DHCPv6 Options ?

From: "Achint Setia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:28:59 +0800

Hi,

Is there any plan to have an equivalent RFC for DHCPv6 as RFC2132
defining various DHCPv4 options?

Are the DHCPv4 defined options to be supported in DHCPv6 in exactly the
same manner (syntax and behavior)

as they were in v4.

Thanks,

Achint Setia.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:22:04 -0500

Is there any plan to have an equivalent RFC for DHCPv6 as RFC2132 defining
various DHCPv4 options?

No, there are RFCs and I-Ds that will define DHCPv6 options. See
http://www.iana.org/assignments/dhcpv6-parameters for the official list of
assigned DHCPv6 option numbers and references to the RFCs that define them.
For work in progress, best to see
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/dhc-charter.html.
 
Are the DHCPv4 defined options to be supported in DHCPv6 in exactly the same
manner (syntax and behavior) as they were in v4.
 
No. We decided early on that we wanted a clean slate. Therefore, if there
are options from DHCPv4 that are desired in DHCPv6, someone needs to write
an Internet-Draft and get it to an RFC.
 
If there are vendor specific options, use the OPTION_VENDOR_CLASS and
OPTION_VENDOR_OPTS options.
 
- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Achint Setia
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 12:29 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] DHCPv4 equivalent for DHCPv6 Options ?

Hi,

Is there any plan to have an equivalent RFC for DHCPv6 as RFC2132 defining
various DHCPv4 options?

Are the DHCPv4 defined options to be supported in DHCPv6 in exactly the same
manner (syntax and behavior)

as they were in v4.

Thanks,

Achint Setia.