Subject: Re: [dhcwg] DHCPv4 equivalent for DHCPv6 Options ?

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 09:33:22 -0500

Achint - comments in line...

At 01:28 PM 12/3/2004 +0800, Achint Setia wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there any plan to have an equivalent RFC for DHCPv6 as RFC2132 defining 
>various DHCPv4 options?

No.  The options defined with the original specification of DHCPv6 are in
RFC 3315 rather than a separate RFC.  New options will be specified in
separate RFCs.  We wrote a separate RFC for DHCPv4 options because there
were many more options defined at the time RFCs 2131 and RFC 2132 were
published.

>Are the DHCPv4 defined options to be supported in DHCPv6 in exactly the 
>same manner (syntax and behavior)
>as they were in v4.

No.  The dhc WG considered but rejected a plan to carry forward the
definition of all of the DHCPv4 options to DHCPv6.  Instead, we adopted the
strategy of defining new options as requirements for those options are
identified.

>Thanks,
>Achint Setia.

- Ralph Droms

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg