Subject: [dhcwg] Process for responding to RFC 3942, DHCPv4 Options Reclassification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:12:48 -0400

Hi, 

I'm sure this must be a multiple repeat question, but I have not managed 
to find a good answer by searching.  So here goes.... 

I'm trying to determine what the process is supposed to be to register our 
currently used vendor-specific DHCP options, so that they are not 
overridden pre-emptively as a result of RFC 3942.  The RFC itself is not 
very specific, other than both IETF and IANA need to be notified. 

The specific text at hand is:
"
   2. Vendors that currently use one or more of the reclassified options
      have 6 months following this RFC's publication date to notify the
      DHC WG and IANA that they are using particular options numbers and
      agree to document that usage in an RFC.  IANA will move these
      options from the "Unavailable" to "Tentatively Assigned" state.
"

More specifically, the questions are:

1. What needs to be submitted to this WG to describe what options we are 
currently using.  I assume we should list which specific options, and 
approximate purpose.  Is there other information required?  Should this be 
in the form of an I-D (it appears so). 

2. How to get this same information to IANA so that the currently used 
options are assured to be put in "Tentatively Assigned" and reserved from 
standardization until the end of the 18 month moratorium period?  Is this 
also covered by the I-D to this WG as above, or is there something else? 
How ids this confirmed? 

3. When, exactly, is the end of the registration period?  The RFC states 6 
months from RFC issue, and is dated November 2004 (it was very late 
November I believe), so is the end date beginning of May, end of May, end 
of June, or what? 

Apologies in advance  for the newbie questions.... 

Cheers,
Peter Blatherwick

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:18:11 -0400

Hi:
 
An email is fine to notify the DHC WG ([email-masked]) and IANA
([email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ). Just include the option number(s)
and brief information about what it is used for -- the full details should
be documented in the Internet-Draft. An example is
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/current/msg04726.html.

I've been assuming that we would use the end of May (May 31st) as the
deadline to compile the list of Tentatively Assigned options since the RFC
came out late in November and I'd rather err on giving people a bit more
time.

I will be working with IANA to make sure that the list of tentatively
assigned options is produced after the deadline.
 
Hope that answers your questions.
 
- Bernie

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
	Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 9:13 PM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [dhcwg] Process for responding to RFC 3942,DHCPv4 Options
Reclassification

	Hi, 
	
	I'm sure this must be a multiple repeat question, but I have not
managed to find a good answer by searching.  So here goes.... 
	
	I'm trying to determine what the process is supposed to be to
register our currently used vendor-specific DHCP options, so that they are
not overridden pre-emptively as a result of RFC 3942.  The RFC itself is not
very specific, other than both IETF and IANA need to be notified.   
	
	The specific text at hand is: 
	" 
	   2. Vendors that currently use one or more of the reclassified
options 
	      have 6 months following this RFC's publication date to notify
the 
	      DHC WG and IANA that they are using particular options numbers
and 
	      agree to document that usage in an RFC.  IANA will move these 
	      options from the "Unavailable" to "Tentatively Assigned"
state. 
	" 

	1. What needs to be submitted to this WG to describe what options we
are currently using.  I assume we should list which specific options, and
approximate purpose.  Is there other information required?  Should this be
in the form of an I-D (it appears so).   
	
	2. How to get this same information to IANA so that the currently
used options are assured to be put in "Tentatively Assigned" and reserved
from standardization until the end of the 18 month moratorium period?  Is
this also covered by the I-D to this WG as above, or is there something
else?  How ids this confirmed?   
	
	3. When, exactly, is the end of the registration period?  The RFC
states 6 months from RFC issue, and is dated November 2004 (it was very late
November I believe), so is the end date beginning of May, end of May, end of
June, or what?   

	Cheers, 
	Peter Blatherwick