Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Process for responding to RFC 3942,DHCPv4 Options Reclassification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:48:23 -0400

Thanks Bernie, that's what we needed, 

I will put that email together (we work with a lot of partners, so a bit 
easier said than done ;-)    I'm not sure it would be useful to document 
full details in an I-D, since we are currently looking at moving away from 
our vendor specific scheme; likely to use options 60/43 or 124/125 
approach instead.  We know we have been naughty on this (like many others 
;-).   Will do the I-D if it is needed -- please let us know once I can 
get the email step done. 

May I suggest a good step would be to put the compiled list out on this 
email list when completed, so the group can check for any slips.

Cheers,
Peter

"Bernie Volz" <[email-masked]>
07.04.05 08:18

        To:     <[email-masked]>
        cc:     <[email-masked]>
        Subject:        RE: [dhcwg] Process for responding to RFC 3942,DHCPv4 Options 
Reclassification

Hi:
 
An email is fine to notify the DHC WG ([email-masked]) and IANA
([email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ). Just include the option number(s)
and brief information about what it is used for -- the full details should
be documented in the Internet-Draft. An example is
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dhcwg/current/msg04726.html.

I've been assuming that we would use the end of May (May 31st) as the
deadline to compile the list of Tentatively Assigned options since the RFC
came out late in November and I'd rather err on giving people a bit more
time.

I will be working with IANA to make sure that the list of tentatively
assigned options is produced after the deadline.
 
Hope that answers your questions.
 
- Bernie

________________________________

                 From: [email-masked] 
[mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
                 Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 9:13 PM
                 To: [email-masked]
                 Subject: [dhcwg] Process for responding to RFC 
3942,DHCPv4 Options
Reclassification

                 Hi, 
 
                 I'm sure this must be a multiple repeat question, but I 
have not
managed to find a good answer by searching.  So here goes.... 
 
                 I'm trying to determine what the process is supposed to 
be to
register our currently used vendor-specific DHCP options, so that they are
not overridden pre-emptively as a result of RFC 3942.  The RFC itself is 
not
very specific, other than both IETF and IANA need to be notified. 
 
                 The specific text at hand is: 
                 " 
                    2. Vendors that currently use one or more of the 
reclassified
options 
                       have 6 months following this RFC's publication date 
to notify
the 
                       DHC WG and IANA that they are using particular 
options numbers
and 
                       agree to document that usage in an RFC.  IANA will 
move these 
                       options from the "Unavailable" to "Tentatively 
Assigned"
state. 
                 " 
 
                 More specifically, the questions are: 
 
                 1. What needs to be submitted to this WG to describe what 
options we
are currently using.  I assume we should list which specific options, and
approximate purpose.  Is there other information required?  Should this be
in the form of an I-D (it appears so). 
 
                 2. How to get this same information to IANA so that the 
currently
used options are assured to be put in "Tentatively Assigned" and reserved
from standardization until the end of the 18 month moratorium period?  Is
this also covered by the I-D to this WG as above, or is there something
else?  How ids this confirmed? 
 
                 3. When, exactly, is the end of the registration period? 
The RFC
states 6 months from RFC issue, and is dated November 2004 (it was very 
late
November I believe), so is the end date beginning of May, end of May, end 
of
June, or what? 
 
                 Apologies in advance  for the newbie questions.... 
 
                 Cheers, 
                 Peter Blatherwick 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg