Subject: RE: [dhcwg] IPv6 questions

From: "Borz, John (IPG-Roseville R&D)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:43:38 -0700

Hi Ted,
 
I believe the problem we are trying to solve is how do we get the
hostname and domain name in an IPv6 only environment.  There does not
seem to be a DHCPv6 option yet to specify the hostname or domain name as
in DHCPv4.  Thus such parameters would have to be configured manually in
the case of the FQDN option.  The reason for the question of allowing
DHCPv4 to be used as DHCPv6 options or since the option tag spaces are
not compatibly maybe in a DHCPv6 option that means DHCPv4 options, was
to allow configuration of parameters for which DHCPv6 options don't yet
exist or may not even be implemented in DHCPv6. 
 
thanks,
John
________________________________

From: Ted Lemon [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 9:39 AM
To: Borz, John (IPG-Roseville R&D)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dhcwg] IPv6 questions

On Aug 23, 2005, at 6:03 PM, Borz, John (IPG-Roseville R&D) wrote:

	(a + b represent FQDN for name registration in DNS) to use in
the DHCPv6 FQDN option? 

The presumption is that you send the FQDN option if you know your FQDN,
and don't send it if you do not.   If you only know your hostname, and
not your FQDN, you send an unqualified hostname.   If you know neither,
you don't send anything.

	 Is there any plan to allow DHCPv4 options to be recognized as
in a vendor specific option or some other option?

No.   Why would you want to do that?

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:33:02 -0400

See
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-fqdn-02.txt.
 
We have tried to avoid having a hostname option as it just confused
things in DHCPv4 when both the hostname and FQDN option are used; thus
the FQDN option is favored (and the only thing we've tried to
standardize). Same goes for the hostname.
 
In almost all cases, a host's hostname is the first component of the
FQDN and the domain is what remains.
 
In DHCPv6, you could likely use the domain name search list and apply
this to the FQDN to determine what is the host name (and the domain
name) from the FQDN.
 
- Bernie

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Borz, John (IPG-Roseville R&D)
	Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 12:44 PM
	To: Ted Lemon
	Cc: [email-masked]
	Subject: RE: [dhcwg] IPv6 questions

	Hi Ted,
	 
	I believe the problem we are trying to solve is how do we get
the hostname and domain name in an IPv6 only environment.  There does
not seem to be a DHCPv6 option yet to specify the hostname or domain
name as in DHCPv4.  Thus such parameters would have to be configured
manually in the case of the FQDN option.  The reason for the question of
allowing DHCPv4 to be used as DHCPv6 options or since the option tag
spaces are not compatibly maybe in a DHCPv6 option that means DHCPv4
options, was to allow configuration of parameters for which DHCPv6
options don't yet exist or may not even be implemented in DHCPv6. 
	 
	thanks,
	John

	On Aug 23, 2005, at 6:03 PM, Borz, John (IPG-Roseville R&D)
wrote:

		(a + b represent FQDN for name registration in DNS) to
use in the DHCPv6 FQDN option? 

	The presumption is that you send the FQDN option if you know
your FQDN, and don't send it if you do not.   If you only know your
hostname, and not your FQDN, you send an unqualified hostname.   If you
know neither, you don't send anything.

		 Is there any plan to allow DHCPv4 options to be
recognized as in a vendor specific option or some other option?

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:45:32 -0400

>Same goes for the hostname. 
 
Should have been domainname, not hostname.

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Bernie Volz (volz)
	Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 2:33 PM
	To: Borz, John (IPG-Roseville R&D); Ted Lemon
	Cc: [email-masked]
	Subject: RE: [dhcwg] IPv6 questions

	See
	 
	We have tried to avoid having a hostname option as it just
confused things in DHCPv4 when both the hostname and FQDN option are
used; thus the FQDN option is favored (and the only thing we've tried to
standardize). Same goes for the hostname.
	 
	In almost all cases, a host's hostname is the first component of
the FQDN and the domain is what remains.
	 
	In DHCPv6, you could likely use the domain name search list and
apply this to the FQDN to determine what is the host name (and the
domain name) from the FQDN.
	 
	- Bernie

		From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Borz, John (IPG-Roseville
R&D)
		Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 12:44 PM
		To: Ted Lemon
		Cc: [email-masked]
		Subject: RE: [dhcwg] IPv6 questions

		Hi Ted,
		 
		I believe the problem we are trying to solve is how do
we get the hostname and domain name in an IPv6 only environment.  There
does not seem to be a DHCPv6 option yet to specify the hostname or
domain name as in DHCPv4.  Thus such parameters would have to be
configured manually in the case of the FQDN option.  The reason for the
question of allowing DHCPv4 to be used as DHCPv6 options or since the
option tag spaces are not compatibly maybe in a DHCPv6 option that means
DHCPv4 options, was to allow configuration of parameters for which
DHCPv6 options don't yet exist or may not even be implemented in DHCPv6.

		thanks,
		John

		On Aug 23, 2005, at 6:03 PM, Borz, John (IPG-Roseville
R&D) wrote:

			(a + b represent FQDN for name registration in
DNS) to use in the DHCPv6 FQDN option? 

		The presumption is that you send the FQDN option if you
know your FQDN, and don't send it if you do not.   If you only know your
hostname, and not your FQDN, you send an unqualified hostname.   If you
know neither, you don't send anything.