Subject: [dhcwg] IPv6 questions

From: "Borz, John (IPG-Roseville R&D)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:03:36 -0700

Hi,
 
I want to request some information about IPv6 only environments and
DHCP.  In an IPv6 only environment with DHCPv6 as the only configuration
mechanism, how dows an unconfigured DHCPv6 client get the following
information:
 
(a) hostname
(b) domain name
 
(a + b represent FQDN for name registration in DNS) to use in the DHCPv6
FQDN option?  
 
Is there any plan to allow DHCPv4 options to be recognized as in a
vendor specific option or some other option?
 
thanks,
John
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:39:21 -0700

On Aug 23, 2005, at 6:03 PM, Borz, John (IPG-Roseville R&D) wrote:
> (a + b represent FQDN for name registration in DNS) to use in the  
> DHCPv6 FQDN option?

The presumption is that you send the FQDN option if you know your  
FQDN, and don't send it if you do not.   If you only know your  
hostname, and not your FQDN, you send an unqualified hostname.   If  
you know neither, you don't send anything.

> vendor specific option or some other option?

No.   Why would you want to do that?