Subject: [dhcwg] Implementing DHCP

From: "Jaffe Jack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:23:45 -0500

My director came to me today saying that we will have to implement DHCP
very soon, and he needed to know the impact/work-load that will create
for Meditech, which is our HIS. Do you have information on configuration
changes that need to be made in Meditech in order to make it compatible
with DHCP?

Thanks!

Jack B. Jaffe, RN, BSN
PCI/PCM Coordinator
Willamette Valley Medical Center
McMinnville, Oregon 97128
voc: 503-435-6310
fax: 503-435-6517

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:04:35 -0400

The short generic answer is:
- You need to set up DHCP server(s) - the number and distribution
depends on the network layout and scale. This means you need to
configure the subnets which are to have DHCP service, the range of
addresses to be leased out, and if and where required the reservations
for "fixed" address (usually used for servers and printers).
- You need to set up (some of) the routers to be dhcp relay agents.
These devices will forward the local broadcasts done by the DHCP clients
to the DHCP server(s) for that network.
- You need to configure the client systems to do DHCP instead of using
static address assignments. This depends on the operating system and
usually is fairly straight forward to do (in Windows, for example, it is
done in the interface-specific "Properties" Network Control Panel,
select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and "Properties" and then check
"Obtain an IP address automatically").
 
Once you set up DHCP it should require little maintenance except when
you need to add new network segments or need to make changes to the
network layout.
 
Depending on service requirements, you might want to look at DHCP
servers that support Failover and then deploy pairs of servers. This
will assure the highest availability of service.
 
- Bernie

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Jaffe Jack
	Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 1:24 PM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [dhcwg] Implementing DHCP

	My director came to me today saying that we will have to
implement DHCP very soon, and he needed to know the impact/work-load
that will create for Meditech, which is our HIS. Do you have information
on configuration changes that need to be made in Meditech in order to
make it compatible with DHCP?

	Thanks! 

	Jack B. Jaffe, RN, BSN 
	PCI/PCM Coordinator

---

From: "Jaffe Jack" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:26:36 -0500

Thanks, Bernie, for your input! I appreciate the information which will
be a great help when we implement DHCP.

Jack B. Jaffe, RN, BSN 
PCI/PCM Coordinator 

From: Bernie Volz (volz) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 7:05 AM
To: Jaffe Jack; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] Implementing DHCP

 
 
- Bernie

	Thanks! 

	Jack B. Jaffe, RN, BSN 
	PCI/PCM Coordinator