Subject: [dhcwg] Ambiguity in RFC 2131 (pages 37 & 38)

From: Soumava Das <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 23:37:59 -0700

Hi All,

            I noticed a possible ambiguity in RFC 2131. In page 37, for
DHCPDECLINE/DHCPRELEASE, it is mentioned that 'sname', 'file', and 'options'
are (unused). However, in page 38, it is mentioned that 'Server identifier'
option is MUST, 'Message' is SHOULD, etc. I feel that the two pages
contradict each other. 

            I would be grateful if someone can clarify the issue.

Regards,

Soumava

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:33:51 -0400

sname and server-identifier are unrelated: sname is a field in the  
fixed portion of the DHCP packet, and server-identifier is a DHCP  
option, which goes in the free-form option section of the packet.    
sname would only ever be filled in by the DHCP server, never by the  
client, and the same is true for file.

You are right though that the RFC is incorrect in claiming that the  
options field is unused - obviously you can't even say what type of  
DHCP packet you're sending if you don't send any options, since the  
dhcp message type option goes in the options field.

On Aug 8, 2005, at 2:37 AM, Soumava Das wrote:

>             I noticed a possible ambiguity in RFC 2131. In page 37,  
> for DHCPDECLINE/DHCPRELEASE, it is mentioned that ‘sname’, ‘file’,  
> and ‘options’ are (unused). However, in page 38, it is mentioned  
> that ‘Server identifier’ option is MUST, ‘Message’ is SHOULD, etc.  
> I feel that the two pages contradict each other.