Subject: [dhcwg] Protocol Action: 'A Timezone Option for DHCP' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 10:26:18 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Timezone Option for DHCP '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-timezone-option-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jari Arkko and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-timezone-option-05.txt

Technical Summary
 
  The document specifies two new DHCPv4 options and two new DHCPv6
  options. The two options are used to pass a POSIX TZ string, and
  a TZ database reference respectively. This offers an improvement
  over the time offset option defined in RFC 2132.

Working Group Summary
 
  There was consensus for adopting this draft at the wg meeting at
  IETF 65. Consensus was verified on the mailing list, and got
  adopted in May 06. After a few revisions and cycles of discussion
  and feedback on the dhc WG mailing list, as well as feedback from
  external people, rev 02 went to wglc Aug 06. Based on comments
  received during last call rev 03 was produced. Finally rev 04 was
  made, only change being the RFC 2119 boiler plate and reference.

  Some have argued against deprecating the v4 time offset option since
  it is still in use. Still, the chairs believe there is rough consensus
  for deprecating the offset and have this new option replacing it.

Protocol Quality
 
  The specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Jari Arkko,
  and reviewed in the timezone mailing list [email-masked].
  As a part of the AD review, we also asked for additional
  reviews from timezone experts. Chris Newman reviewed the
  specification for this purpose.

  The protocol specified in this document specifies new DHCPv4 and
  DHCPv6 options and as there are no special requirements on option
  encodings or usage, this should be trivial to implement.

  There are two known client and one server implementations.

Note to RFC Editor
 
  In the abstract, please change

    This memo specifies DHCP options each of those methods.

  to

    This memo specifies DHCP options for each of those methods.

  In Section 1, first paragraph, 2nd bullet, change

    o  Reference to the TZ Database

  to

    o  Reference to the name of a time zone entry in the TZ Database.

  In Section 5 first paragraph, change

    TZ Name is the name of a Zone entry in the database commonly
    referred to as the TZ database.
   
  to

    TZ Name is the name of a Zone entry in the database commonly
    referred to as the TZ database.  Specifically, in the database's
    textual form, the string refers to the name field of a zone line.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg