Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Ports clarification on DHCPv6

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 12:22:35 -0800

I haven't seen any further traffic on this topic.

> Conversely: Why send a packet from a high source port if you're going
> to have to get responses via the low port?

It's my understanding that there exists a mechanism (I can't remember
if it's .Net or ActiveX) for nonpriveleged software running on Windows
machines to transmit, and receive the responses to, DHCPINFORMs.

I don't know what the IPv4 source port is in this case, or if this
is any indication of what might be done in a DHCPv6 version of the
same extensions.

I do know that they exist, because we had to fix "bugs" relating
to some unrelated-to-source-port oddities of these clients.

-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg