Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3633 Question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:03:48 +0800 (PHT)

Hi! Based on RFC 3633 - IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6, the specified
nodes involved in the operation are routers such as the requesting router
- the router that acts as a DHCP client that is requesting for prefix(es)
and a delegating router that acts as the DHCP server. My question are,
thus the option (IA_PD) mentioned here is only intended when DHCP is
running on a router ( a packet forwarding node) and not on a host (
non-forwarding packet node)?  Is there a DHCPv6 option for specifying
gateway or router just like in IPv4 when a DHCPv6 is running on a
non-forwarding packet node, in which it will provide options for routers?

Thank you very much.

--------
This email and/or attachments are confidential and may also be
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified, that any review, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this email and/or attachments is strictly prohibited.
Please notify [email-masked] immediately by email and
delete this message and all its attachments. Thank you.

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:27:37 -0500

In IPv6, routers communicate the routing information via Routing
Advertisements (see RFCs 2461 and 2462). There is no need for DHCPv6 to
do this. (And if you don't have a router, why do you need any routing
information.) This type of functionality (Routing Advertisements)
doesn't really exist in IPv4, hence DHCPv4 needed to communicate this
information.
 
Prefix delegation is primarily design for use by routers, not hosts
(unless a host is also serving as a router).
 
- Bernie

________________________________

From: Archimedes S. Gaviola [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 12:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3633 Question

Hi! Based on RFC 3633 - IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6, the specified
nodes involved in the operation are routers such as the requesting
router - the router that acts as a DHCP client that is requesting for
prefix(es) and a delegating router that acts as the DHCP server. My
question are, thus the option (IA_PD) mentioned here is only intended
when DHCP is running on a router ( a packet forwarding node) and not on
a host ( non-forwarding packet node)?  Is there a DHCPv6 option for
specifying gateway or router just like in IPv4 when a DHCPv6 is running
on a non-forwarding packet node, in which it will provide options for
routers?
 
Thank you very much.
 
Archimedes S. Gaviola
Network Engineer
InfoWeapons Corporation