Subject: RE: [dhcwg] RFC 3633 Question

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 09:27:37 -0500

In IPv6, routers communicate the routing information via Routing
Advertisements (see RFCs 2461 and 2462). There is no need for DHCPv6 to
do this. (And if you don't have a router, why do you need any routing
information.) This type of functionality (Routing Advertisements)
doesn't really exist in IPv4, hence DHCPv4 needed to communicate this
information.
 
Prefix delegation is primarily design for use by routers, not hosts
(unless a host is also serving as a router).
 
- Bernie

________________________________

From: Archimedes S. Gaviola [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 12:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dhcwg] RFC 3633 Question

Hi! Based on RFC 3633 - IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6, the specified
nodes involved in the operation are routers such as the requesting
router - the router that acts as a DHCP client that is requesting for
prefix(es) and a delegating router that acts as the DHCP server. My
question are, thus the option (IA_PD) mentioned here is only intended
when DHCP is running on a router ( a packet forwarding node) and not on
a host ( non-forwarding packet node)?  Is there a DHCPv6 option for
specifying gateway or router just like in IPv4 when a DHCPv6 is running
on a non-forwarding packet node, in which it will provide options for
routers?
 
Thank you very much.
 
Archimedes S. Gaviola
Network Engineer
InfoWeapons Corporation
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "Archimedes S. Gaviola" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 17:15:41 +0800

Sir Bernie, 
 
Thank you very much for answering my question. It's enough for me to know
that prefix delegation is design for routers. I really appreciate it.
 
Sincerely Yours,
 
Archimedes S. Gaviola
Network Engineer
InfoWeapons Corporation

  _____  

From: Bernie Volz (volz) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 10:28 PM
To: Archimedes S. Gaviola; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] RFC 3633 Question

In IPv6, routers communicate the routing information via Routing
Advertisements (see RFCs 2461 and 2462). There is no need for DHCPv6 to do
this. (And if you don't have a router, why do you need any routing
information.) This type of functionality (Routing Advertisements) doesn't
really exist in IPv4, hence DHCPv4 needed to communicate this information.
 
Prefix delegation is primarily design for use by routers, not hosts (unless
a host is also serving as a router).
 
- Bernie

  _____  

Hi! Based on RFC 3633 - IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6, the specified nodes
involved in the operation are routers such as the requesting router - the
router that acts as a DHCP client that is requesting for prefix(es) and a
delegating router that acts as the DHCP server. My question are, thus the
option (IA_PD) mentioned here is only intended when DHCP is running on a
router ( a packet forwarding node) and not on a host ( non-forwarding packet
node)?  Is there a DHCPv6 option for specifying gateway or router just like
in IPv4 when a DHCPv6 is running on a non-forwarding packet node, in which
it will provide options for routers?
 
Thank you very much.
 
Archimedes S. Gaviola
Network Engineer
InfoWeapons Corporation