Subject: RE: [dhcwg] WG last calls on several WG documents

From: "Woundy, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:26:54 -0500

I support moving forward with all four drafts:

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcvp6-leasequery-01
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-ero-00
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-02
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00

-- Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 12:57 PM
To: dhcwg
Cc: Stig Venaas
Subject: [dhcwg] WG last calls on several WG documents

3rd try - So far, we've only received responses as summarized below.  We
need additional positive support (from others than draft authors!) to
move forward with these draft.

- Ralph

=====

We need to confirm WG consensus in support of holding WG last calls on
several dhc WG documents that were discussed at the WG meeting in San
Diego.

The first four of these documents are:

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01
  DHCPv6 Relay Agent Assignment Notification (RAAN) Option
      Yes - Fred Templin
      Yes - David Hankins
      Yes - John Brzozowski
      Yes - Bernie Volz (author)

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00
  DHCPv6 Server Reply Sequence Number Option

      Yes - Fred Templin
      No opinion - David Hankins
      Yes - John Brzozowski
      Yes - Bernie Volz (author)

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-ero-00
  DHCPv6 Relay Agent Echo Request Option

      No opinion - Fred Templin
      Yes - David Hankins
      Yes - John Brzozowski (author)
      Yes - Bernie Volz (author)

draft-ietf-dhc-dhcvp6-leasequery-00
  DHCPv6 Leasequery

      No opinion - Fred Templin
      Yes - David Hankins
      Yes - John Brzozowski (author)
      Yes - Bernie Volz (author)

If you have any objections to a WG last call for any of these documents,
please respond to the mailing list.  If you are in agreement that these
documents are ready for WG last call, send a positive ACK to the mailing
list so we can assess support for those last calls.  We will review the
responses received by Mon, Nov 27 and initiate the supported WG last
calls at that time.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:43:31 +0100

> draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00

Please note that Ralph asked this to verify consensus
for starting last calls. Based on the positive input we
got for agentopt-delegate and srsn-option we started a
last call for those. Once that is completed we will
see if we now also got sufficient support for starting
last calls on leasequery and ero.

So far we've got pretty positive responses to the last
call for agentopt-delegate and srsn-option, but we still
need further responses to move forward.

So it would be good if you Richard, and also others in
the working group, could respond to the last call on
those two. See email I sent on Dec 29 with subject:
dhc wg last call on agentopt-delegate and srsn-option drafts

The deadline for the last call is 1700EST on Mon, 2007-01-15.

Stig

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:37:04 -0700

> last calls on leasequery and ero.

I'm mildly uncomfortable with leasequery simply because it's a rather  
complex draft and I haven't had the time to sit down and try to  
implement it, so I'm worried that there are bugs in it.   Also, it  
seems to leave out discovering Prefix Delegations, which seems like a  
significant omission.   But with those caveats, I'm okay with it going  
forward to the next step, as long as we understand that it may need  
fixes if errors are discovered during implementation.   Possibly those  
can be folded in when the solution for Prefix Delegation is described.

I'm also fine with ERO going to last call.

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:55:31 -0500

Ted:

It doesn't leave out discovering prefix delegations. When a requestor
queries for an address, either the stateful address lease *OR* the
delegated prefix that "contains" the queried address is returned,
depending on what is "leased".

Yes, there is no specific query to ask whether a specific Prefix (prefix
+ prefix-length) is leased, but I didn't see that that was needed and
the requestor might not even know what it is (otherwise, why would it be
querying).

Remember that the basic model is to support relay agents (such as
CMTS's) that have lost "state". The relay agent will attempt to recover
state when a packet arrives with a source or destination address
(depending on the direction of the traffic) that the router does not
have in its tables. As the router only has an address, it would not
query for a delegated prefix (and that would perhaps require TWO queries
-- one for the address and another for a delegated prefix).

So, by querying for the address the relay agent would get back the
client and lease information for either the stateful address or the
delegated prefix per the draft.

We can certainly add a query by prefix if that is desired in the future,
but I just find it unlikely that the relay agent would know what the
prefix length is in advance.

- Bernie

---

From: "Templin, Fred L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:15:34 -0800

Bernie and Ted,

Thanks; this gives additional information that would
have allowed me to say  "yes" instead of "no opinion"
to Leasequery and Relay Agent Echo Request Option.

Is it too late to change my vote?

Fred
[email-masked] 

> From: Bernie Volz (volz) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 5:56 AM
> To: Ted Lemon; Stig Venaas
> Cc: dhcwg
> Subject: RE: [dhcwg] WG last calls on several WG documents
> 
> Ted:
>

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:57:05 -0700

> to Leasequery and Relay Agent Echo Request Option.

Likewise I'm now happier about the Leasequery option.   Thanks, Bernie!

I support both the Leasequery and ERO options advancing.

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:11:16 -0500

Nope ... The last call will conclude at 1700EST on Mon, 2007-01-15. 

- Bernie

-----Original Message-----
From: Templin, Fred L [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2007 12:16 PM
To: Bernie Volz (volz); [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [dhcwg] WG last calls on several WG documents

Bernie and Ted,

Fred

---

From: "Bernie Volz \(volz\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:12:34 -0500

Thank you and thanks for asking!

- Bernie