Subject: FW: [dhcwg] draft-pruss-dhcp-auth-dsl-00.txt

From: "Eric Voit \(evoit\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:35:58 -0400

>>802.1X does not work across Ethernet bridge.
>
>Yes.. I consider this feature and not a bug though (i.e. it actually 
>authenticates directly connected node, and not node behind some
arbitrary >series of arbitrary links).
>
>Is some ISP deployment scenario requiring use of bridges? Typically
you'd >want your home gateway / single computer authenticating with the
whatever >concentrator you have on the other side of the first-hop link.

The majority of PPPoE aggregation networks in the world do
authentication multiple hops back in the network.  The operators of
these networks frequently want minimal functionality on dumb L1
termination devices.  This reduces the number of nodes which do a more
robust set of functions which need to be managed.

In addition, there are many business models in the world where there is
a legal requirement for wholesale aggregation & transport of subscriber
traffic to a retailer owned NAS.  

Eric

> Cheers,
>-Markus 

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg