Subject: [dhcwg] A question on receipt of Reply Messages in a client.

From: 차현욱 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 07:22:46 +0000 (GMT)

Hello, 

According to 18.1.8 in RFC3315,

"When the client receives a Reply message in response to a Renew or Rebind message, the client examines each IA independently.  
 For each IA in the original Renew or Rebind message, the client:

   -  sends a Request message if the IA contained a Status Code option
      with the NoBinding status (and does not send any additional
      Renew/Rebind messages)"

I wonder if a server can repond with a IA option with Status Code option (NoBinding).
If this is not allowed, the above sentence should be changed. 
Could you tell me what I am missing?

Thank you in advance.    

Joseph HyunWook Cha

The truth will set you free !!!

Software Engineer 
Development Part 1. I/Infra  
Network System Division 
Tel 031-279-3804  Mobile 010-3024-3804
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 08:56:01 -0700

> If this is not allowed, the above sentence should be changed. 

Section 18.2.3;

   If the server cannot find a client entry for the IA the server
   returns the IA containing no addresses with a Status Code option set
   to NoBinding in the Reply message.

So, this is an IA_XX containing a Status Code option whose status
is NoBinding.  This is allowed, and might happen for example if
the DHCP server "loses its brains", or is forklift-upgraded.

I really don't like this part of RFC3315 - client behaviour regarding
status codes.  It's really twisty, many behaviours relating to
receiving status codes are optional, and in general client behaviour
is very tersely defined.

Best of luck working through this part of your implementation.  It
nearly drove me mad.

-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg