Subject: [dhcwg] A question on Processing CONFIRM messages.

From: 차현욱 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:42:29 +0000 (GMT)

Dear, all.

I have another question. 

According 18.2.2 in RFC3315,
"When the server receives a Confirm message, the server determines whether the addresses in the Confirm message are appropriate for the link to which the client is attached. "

Since the RFC does not suggest methods clearly, I do not know how the server determines if the address is on-link or not.
I just guess that server looks up routing table or configuration informations(?), lease file(?).
If you have solutions or suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Joseph HyunWook Cha

"For you, O God, tested us; you refined us like silver."

Software Engineer 
Development Part 1. I/Infra  
Network System Division 
Tel 031-279-3804  Mobile 010-3024-3804

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: "David W. Hankins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 11:25:08 -0700

> If you have solutions or suggestions, please let me know.

It's the same for all other messages, with the exception (see rfc3315
section 15's second paragraph or so) that we know Confirm messages are
always multicast...so you can always determine the broadcast domain
they're attached to.  With other messages that may be unicast, you
can't always determine where the client is attached.

All a server should do is validate that the addresses are correct
for that broadcast domain.  So this might involve configuration state
to locate the network(s) on that broadcast domain, but it shouldn't
involve recorded lease state.

Did you need help with the general location problem?

-- 
David W. Hankins	"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer		you'll just have to do it again."
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.	-- Jack T. Hankins
_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg