Subject: [dhcwg] Question on DHCPv4 (RFC 2131)

From: "Sangjin Jeong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:28:03 +0900

Hello folks,

I got a question for my clarification on this RFC 
relating to DHCP acknowledgement.

Is it possible for DHCP server to send DHCP (unsolicited) 
ack and to overwrite DHCP client's configuration parameters 
such as server identifier?
I guess sending unsolicited DHCP ack is not possible because 
of the transaction id which is to be chosen by client.

Regards,
Sangjin

_______________________________________________
dhcwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 18:43:57 -0700

> of the transaction id which is to be chosen by client.

It's mostly not possible because the client is supposed to drop  
DHCPACK messages that come in unexpectedly.   You probably want  
DHCPFORCERENEW.

---

From: "Sangjin Jeong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 11:16:52 +0900

Thanks for your clarification.

Sangjin